Chapter 1 Stella

Running on pure adrenaline is exhausting.

Gasping for air every quickened step is becoming too much. My throat is raw, I am slightly light headed.

It has been two hours of running and occasionally slowing to a walk to save some energy for when we get there. It is nearly dusk, the sky orange with the night closing in.

All I've done for this trip is think. Thinking is not a good thing for me, nearly dying twice, thinking I was dead, but not quite sure. I am not afraid of dying, I just know that I'm not ready to. I want the right moment, to die a hero. That moment hasn't come yet, I know I will not let myself be killed at the wrong moment.

Thought is a bit of a strange thing. Wondering, is a word for questioning in the midst of thought, but there is no word for just thinking in your head. Thought is the only explanation for turning things over in your head. Thought. Wonder. Such similar things but yet, so much more different.

"Slow down," Lamar says, just loud enough for our little group to hear. "We need to find some place to sleep, we wont be able to get to the gates until morning."

We are all slowed to a stop now, instinctively formed into a circle so we can all hear the leader.

"We can . . . Hide under a tree or . . . Something," he says, panting.

"Okay," Alice says, panting as well. "Let's go, Tony." Her and Anthony go to find a tree, leaving Faith, Adrian, Lamar, and me to discuss things.

"What will we do when we get there?" Adrian says. "Don't we need a key to open the gates?"

"No," Lamar says. "Just a code, which I have from my work in the control room."

"Good for you," Adrian says. "Let me guess, is it classified information in which you can't tell us?"

"I can tell you," Lamar says. "I''m just not supposed to."

"So, you're following the rules?" Adrian asks. "After all this running away from the government, you're still going to keep your little secret?"

"It isn't my little secret. I will give you a fine opportunity to learn the code tomorrow morning," Lamar says. "You pass it up, it doesn't matter anyway, since you wont need it."

"Look," Faith says. "I'm going to find a tree to sleep under, Storm, if you aren't going to follow your own suggestion, at least let everyone know your discussing something important before you send a third of the group away."

"I think they can handle themselves," Lamar says.

"Okay- I'm going to sleep," I say. "I'm tired of listening to everybody argue over something stupid like the code, or how Alice and Anthony can handle themselves. You seem to be able to settle this yourselves." I walk away to find a tree to sleep under. I decide I could teach Lamar a bit of a lesson about scarring people, since he knows so much. I carefully climb up the tree, it's dark enough outside to where he wont see me. I sit on a thick branch that can easily hold my weight and I can see him. I wait a few minutes until I hear twigs snapping near me. I see him.

"Stella?" He says. He repeats my name. "Are you here?" He looks around for me, walks around the tree. Then looks around a few other trees before I decide to climb down. I sit, leaning against the tree, my dark clothes camouflaging me in the darkness. He comes back, and trips over my out stretched legs. I burst into laughter. "Stella!" He says. "I can't believe you!"

"Yes, you can," I say. "I didn't think you'd trip over my legs! I was just trying to scare you!"

"Well," he says, pulling me into his arms. "You did." He pauses. "And don't ever do that again."