Chapter 9 Stella

"Did you really not believe Alice when she told you Anthony cheated on her?" Lamar asks.

"Of course," I say. "The way he looks at her and treats her, I can tell that he would never do that."

"Well," he says. "He said he didn't. He said someone put a picture of some random girl in his pocket, Alice found it and asked him about it, when he didn't respond, she made up him cheating on her with that girl. He thinks it was because of all the stress and she thought their relationship was too good to be true." He stares at me.

"What?" I say, still wiping tears from my face from Alice's exit. Just the thought of never seeing her again makes me want to curl up in a corner and die. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because I don't know what to think of it," he says as he sits down on his bed, across from me. "And I thought you would."

"Since when is anyone's opinion of my judgment is positive?" I ask.

"Since you met me," he says. I want to smile and laugh but I simply can't.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Tell me what you think about it."

I sigh. "Is that all he said?"

"We had an argument before he told me," he says. "About how he wanted to tell you and how I didn't want him near you. It ended with him begging me to let him talk to you, he said 'I can't lose Alice'. He spoke with more passion than you would expect."

"I think he's telling the truth," I say. "I mean, can't you see it? He really cares about her."

"I haven't paid attention," he says.

I shake my head. "But who would've planted the picture in his pocket, no one really has anything against him besides us . . ."

"I don't know," he says. "I came here to tell you because both Anthony and I prefer your judgment to mine."

I think for a moment. "It had to have been someone from either here or the factionless," I say. "But there is no true reason unless Anthony already did something stupid."

He nods. "I don't know what to do about it," he says. "Do you have any idea?"

I shake my head again. "All we can do is try to find Alice, then try to convince her that it was all a misunderstanding-"

"That won't happen," he says.

"I know that," I feel an immediate stab to my chest. "She's my best friend, Storm. I'm not an idiot."

"I never said-"

"I don't care," I snap. "Don't say things like that, seemingly intending to make me feel as though I didn't know her."

"Stella-"

"Don't," I say as I realize how ridiculous I'm being right now. "I'm sorry, I'm losing control."

"I understand," he says. "Do you want me to stay with you? I won't talk if you don't want me to."

I can actually smile this time. "Thank you," I say, my voice strangled as it escapes my throat and flies past my lips.

He stands only to lie down next to me on my bed, I do the same, he wraps his arms carefully around me. "We'll find her," he whispers into my ear. "Everything will turn out alright, I promise."

I roll onto my other side to face him, I stare at him for several moments. His eyebrows flick upwards as if to ask. What? I shake my head. I feel his finger tips touch the small of my back lightly. My hands are on his chest.