CHAPTER FOURTY-SIX

CHAPTER FOURTY-SIX
Elliot

I caught Juliette checking herself out in the reflection of the lift as we rode it up to my apartment. She looked incredible, like a rare jewel, the deep blue of her new dress making her creamy skin almost iridescent.
I'd never seen her so unlike herself, in body and in mind.
When the lift doors finally shuddered open, I intertwined my fingers with hers and gently pulled her into my hallway, wanting to savour a few moments alone with her before I had to share her with her annoying friends and my equally annoying brother and cousin.
"I feel a little overdone for drinks at your place." She whispered.
"You look perfect. You're the birthday girl, you're allowed to be overdressed."
Juliette glowed under my compliment, her freckled cheeks turning pink beneath her makeup.
She'd been in a much better mood since we left the boutique, retail therapy had really worked its magic on her. I put her previous low spirits down to her family leaving for New York, and my less than lukewarm reception when I had turned up at her house that morning.
Maya had really gotten under my skin, plus she hadn't been answering her phone which was equally annoying.
All of that faded into insignificance as I pressed my keycard against the lock on the door and opened it up, ushering Juliette inside first.
Every light in the apartment suddenly burst on, almost blinding me, as a chorus of 'Happy Birthday!' came from the crowd gathered in my living room.
Juliette was startled at first, but her face instantly brightened when the room came into view.
Despite my opinion of Ashley Goulding, she had done a fine job at decorating the place.
Large ivory and gold balloons hung in clusters by the open fire pit, at their bases were bouquets of white roses in mirror ball effect vases. On the kitchen island sat a tray of pre poured champagne in flutes, a singular strawberry resting on the rim of each glass. Beside them, a two-tiered birthday cake with a huge 21 candle sticking out of the top of it.
I peeked a balloon arch around the corner near the balcony, obviously set up for selfie opportunities, I rolled my eyes at the sight.
Everyone's face lit up when Juliette strode towards them, completely speechless.
Ashley was waiting with arms stretched open, Frankie only a few paces behind her. To their left stood an equally excited Millie, who had also gone all out with her outfit of a barely-there pink dress and higher than high heels. I pushed the big brother instinct in me down, dying to throw my jacket at her so she wasn't so exposed to the wondering eyes of the Lumberjack. He was on the other side of Frankie, whispering something to Juliette's colleague Carol. Teddy didn't seem to notice how low-cut Millie's dress was, he only had eyes for Juliette in that moment.
"Happy birthday gorgeous girl!" Ashley gushed, flinging her arms around Juliette's shoulders and squeezing her tightly.
Juliette snuggled into her friend's embrace, happiness radiating from her.
Frankie was next to pull her into a hug, before setting her back on her feet and looping an arm around Ashley's waist.
"Happy birthday Jewel, you clean up real well." My brother chimed. Juliette's blush deepened.
After she had greeted Millie and Carol, who gave her more well-deserved compliments on her new look, she was left with Teddy.
My hands fisted in the pockets of my trousers as I found my place next to my brother, not removing my eyes from them for a second.
The shy smile Juliette flashed Teddy made me want to throw up.
But when he rested his hands on her waist and pulled her to him in a lingering hug, I turned white hot with jealousy.
Carol, who had appeared beside me from nowhere, hummed to herself as she watched the same sight. "Theodore Green, you will never learn."
I hadn't spoken to Carol much, not at all really, not even on the night we met at On The Rox. But I liked her more than Ashley already, she saw what I did.
"She's completely oblivious, isn't she." I fumed quietly, taking a sip of the champagne my brother had thrust in my hand before going to help Ashley and Millie organise the canapés in the kitchen.
Carol's red painted lips twisted into a half smirk, "She is. Juliette wants to see the best in everyone, thank god she has someone like you who can bring her back to reality a little."
I took her words as a complement, even if she said them with a little hesitation.
Teddy proceeded to whisper and giggle with Juliette like they were two school kids sharing a secret. How at ease she looked with him, I'd kill to get her to look that way with me.
Then, a realisation hit me.
"Carol, did you say Theodore Green?"
She looked up at me, puzzled by my question. "Yeah, Teddy's full name. Why?"
My breath caught in my throat, my cheeks flaming as I quickly set my champagne flute down on the nearest surface and rushed to the secluded area by the stereo. I barely heard Carol call after me, obviously confused by my sudden exit.
No, it can't be.
With quick fingers, I pulled my phone from my pocket and opened up the files I kept on the Goulding Jewellers merger, my own personal files that weren't on the database with the staff member profiles.
My heart was beating viciously in my chest, my vision slightly blurred as I found the document I was looking for, sent on by one of my lower-level associates at Truman & Sons.
It was an email forward, the one informing me the location of where to find Ashley Goulding the night I had planned to 'accidentally' bump into her and convince her to sign the merger contract. Its sender was an ex-employee of Ashley's, my associate had informed me, one who was happy to give intel on the nitty gritty of Goulding Jewellers in exchange for a nice pay cheque.
I scrolled to the bottom, seeing the name I had expected to.
How have I been so stupid not to realise before now?
There, in black and white, was the name that would break Juliette's heart and destroy any goodness she saw in the people she trusted so dearly.
The name was Theo.

I re-entered the party with a new sense of hatred for Teddy Green. He was blissfully unaware of my burning need to stride across the room and throw my fist in his face. He was sitting on my sofa, in my apartment, with a glass of my expensive whisky in his hand.
Bastard.
I watched him with a scowl as he chatted with a flustered looking Millie, at least he wasn't with Juliette anymore.
I couldn't believe I hadn't even clicked; I'd had the staff profiles Rebecca had sent me for weeks, but I'd been so invested in Juliette's I hadn't given the others a second glance.
Theo Green, the rat.
But why?
The questioned ricocheted around my brain, almost leaving me dizzy.
Why would he sell out his company and his friends for cash, I hadn't even offered him that much money, small change compared to what I was offering Juliette.
More importantly, what would Juliette say when she found out I unconsciously conspired with one of her closest friends and colleagues to secure the merger of her best friends' business? She already thought I had used her to get to Ashley that night, when she discovered that I had used Teddy's information to seek Ashley out...the thought wasn't worth thinking about.
Juliette will never find out, not ever.
As if he could hear my murderous thoughts towards him, Teddy shot me a hesitant look from across the room, his jaw locking as he clocked my blazing scowl.
I gestured with my head towards the kitchen, not saying a word as I stomped towards the kitchen counter and poured myself a whiskey – the champagne no longer cutting it.
A few moments later, heavy footsteps appeared behind me.
I knocked back my tumbler, the amber liquid burning down my throat as I slowly turned on my heels.
Teddy was a big guy, stocky and fairly tall. But in that moment, he might as well have been as small as a mouse.
"Theo Green, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." My voice was glacial.
His eyes widened in shock as his mouth popped open. He knew I knew.
I waited for him to say something to defend himself, or to deny it point blank. But he didn't, he just stood there and gaped at me.
After an array of emotions flashed across his face, he finally spoke.
"I didn't think you were going to figure it out, when we were introduced at your brothers party and you didn't say anything, I thought I had..."
I gripped the whiskey glass in my hand too tight, the decorative carvings of the crystal leaving indents on my palm. "You thought you had got away with betraying your friends?"
Teddy's simpering look turned more heated.
"You're the one who used that information to go out and seduce Juliette!" He spat, still conscious of the others who were only a few strides away in the living room, completely oblivious to the war that was being waged.
My jaw pulsed. "I did not seduce Juliette."
"Oh yeah, that's right. You had other plans that night."
I gave him a warning look, my temper fraying as I slammed my glass down on the counter and squared off my shoulders.
"Listen here, you jumped up little prick." Rage pushed at the boundaries of my composure, begging to be let out.
"Here are the facts. You fed information to my associate; you were in turn paid for that information. I then used that information to secure the successful business venture of my family's company. So, Theodore, I suggest you keep your fucking mouth shut. Otherwise, I'll let your boss in on what her staff really say about her behind closed doors."
With that, I pushed passed him and headed for the living room, desperate to be away from him before I did something I would regret.
"You're not going to tell Juliette?" He called after me, seemingly confused, but mostly relieved.
"No. And neither will you. This was business, and it is done." I kept my voice low, aware that we had now caught the attention of Carol.
He contemplated that, then slowly nodded his head. "I didn't do it to hurt them, I had my reasons."
"Don't we all." I deadpanned, my anger plateauing into annoyance as I sought out Millie, who was organising presents on the media unit in size order. If anyone could unintentionally dull my brain with mindless drivel, it was my cousin.
She let out an exasperated sigh as she straightened one of the gift bows on a small gift box, her thoughts far away.
"Penny for your thoughts?" I nudged her with my shoulder, my mood already lighter.
"You couldn't afford my thoughts Smelliot." She laughed.
We both turned to take in the party, watching as the evening unfolded.
Someone had figured out how to use my high-tech stereo, so music filled the room quietly, a mixture of genres I'd already heard every time Juliette took over the sound system in my car.
Juliette was chatting animatedly with Carol and Ashley, her copper hair cascading along the corset of her dress as she threw her head back in laughter. She looked perfect, an absolute vision, I wanted to encapsulate her in time.
"This looks good on you." Millie mused, gesturing in my face.
I dragged my gaze down to her, confused by her meaning.
"Longing, it suits you." She explained.
I snorted. "I am not longing."
Millie lifted her brow, seeing right through me. "Sure you're not."
"Juliette is my girlfriend, am I not allowed to look at her?"
"Of course." Her brows creased with thought. "Its just..."
"Go on, say what you're dying to say." I smirked.
"I've seen you with other women, this time seems different."
I looked back up until my eyes found her red hair, her full figure, her charming smile.
My chest tightened when she tucked one side of her hair behind her ear, exposing her collar bone and neck – the place I knew she loved to be touched the most.
Different.
I tested the word in my head. 
Millie continued, "You deserve someone like Juliette, after what Maya did."
For the first time, I didn't flinch at the she-devil's name.
Me and Millie had never really spoke about that night of her leaving party, the night me and Maya broke up, but then and there didn't seem like the time nor the place.
"Yeah well," I ran my hand through my hair, not really knowing where I was going with the conversation.
Millie touched her hand to my arm, keeping me present. "You're a good man, Elliot. Make sure Jewel sees that side of you."
With that, she disappeared to go mingle with the others, leaving me reeling.
I wasn't a good man; I'd been selfish and ruthless most of my life. So focused on getting to the top, not caring who or what I destroyed on the ascent.
Hell, I'd infiltrated Goulding Jewellers in order to coerce Ashley into signing a business deal that would only really benefit me in the end. I'd brought Juliette into my deceit and lies, using her weakness as my own personal gain. Getting her to lie to her friends and family so I could take over my fathers company. 
Those weren't the attributes of a good man.
But something nagged within me, something new and fresh and vulnerable.
For Juliette, who was sweet and caring and selfless, I wanted to try and be different
For her, I think I'd try anything.