CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY

Juliette

I managed to avoid talking about my night with Elliot whilst at work. The store was busy, which kept Ashley and Carol busy. And Teddy was on annual leave to celebrate the birthday of his niece, which meant he wasn't around to tell anyone that he saw me leave the Gallery with Elliot, or to grill me about why I'd left without saying goodbye in person.
I worked silently in the back office, alongside Maureen, as we both fulfilled some of the design orders that had flooded in. Then, every other spare second I had was dedicated to working on my Gala necklace.
I was mid-way through creating molds for the structure of my necklace when my phone buzzed on my desk. My mouth dried when I saw who the text was from.

Unknown Number: Hi, its Elliot.

I hadn't given him my phone number, but he seemed like the kind of guy who would be resourceful if he needed something. I quickly added him to my contacts and replied back to him.

Me: Hi. Dare I ask how you got my number?

Elliot Truman: I am your boss, I can get any information I need from your personal file.

I held back a snort as I read his message, he really was an overbearing ass. And I was the idiot who had agreed to marry him.

Me: I'm at work. What can I do for you Elliot?

Elliot: I just wanted to let you know that we are going to dinner at my parents' house on Friday.

Me: Okay. What should I wear?

Elliot: Whatever you like. We can go shopping tomorrow.

Me: I can't, I have work tomorrow...

Elliot: So? Take the day off.

I really did laugh out loud after reading that message, of course it was just that easy in his world.
Maureen looked up from her computer and gave me a quizzical smile. "Everything okay dear?"
"Yeah, just reading a funny article." I lied, clearing my throat awkwardly as I moved my phone under my desk, frantically typing my response in case Maureen decided she wanted to be nosey and peer at my screen.

Me: I can't just 'take the day off'!
Me: I need to give Ashley more notice if I want to submit annual leave requests. I'll just wear something I already have.

Elliot: Please refer to my previous message, the one where I reminded you that I'm your boss.
Elliot: Please also refer to the copy of our Agreement that I forward on to your personal email address this morning. Section: Duties, Point 5.

I quickly checked my inbox and found an email sat in there from Elliot's work email address, attached to it were a scanned copy of our signed Agreement as well as the NDA. I opened up the Agreement document and scrolled to the section in question.

The agreed duties of the Second Member Miss Juliette Alison St. James include but are not limited to:
- To be presented in public in a way that the First Member deems appropriate, this will include a provided wardrobe of the First Member's choosing...

Frustration burned in my cheeks as I stewed over how to reply to him. I'd never met someone so...highhanded.
I knew Elliot had expectations of me when I'd agreed to his outlandish proposal, but I'd hoped it wouldn't affect my career in any way. I loved my job, and my actual boss (despite what Elliot said) was my best friend. I wasn't in the market for pissing her off and letting her down at the store when she had done so much to help me.
Before I could think of a response, another message came through from Elliot.