CHAPTER FOURTY-THREE

Juliette

Elliot had thawed a little by the time we re-entered Rossi's and joined the table again.
Our plates had been cleared away, but I didn't care, my hunger had been replaced with irritation and frustration at my mother's inability to keep her mouth shut.
"Everything alright?" Auntie Joan quizzed, looking between me and Elliot as we took our seats.
Elliot had re-painted his false smile on his face, flipping the internal switch like only he could.
Psychopath.
"Absolutely fine, apologies about that." He breezed, taking a swig of red wine.
I remained silent, flashing daggers at my mum across the table as she refused to look me in the eye, mindlessly playing with the edge of the place mat in front of her.
An awkward silence crackled around the table, until Milo clapped his hands together and gave me a look.
"Lettie, why don't you open your presents!"
I wasn't in the mood, but I forced a smile on my face and grabbed one of the gift bags. When I peeled it open and discarded the paper, a warm fuzzy feeling flooded my chest.
Auntie Joan and Cassie had bought me a new leather bound sketch book and pencils, I ran my hand over the soft cover as my false happiness turned real.
"Thank you so much, I love these." I gushed.
"Juliette would draw the day away when she was younger." Auntie Joan informed Elliot, "I hope this encourages you to get drawing again." She directed at me, pleased with herself for picking out a brilliant gift.
"It will, thank you."
I had always been a creative kid, it explained why I enjoyed designing jewellery, it scratched an artistic itch in my brain like nothing else could.
I moved onto Elliot's gift next, sensing his trepidation next to me as I fondled the soft cream bow wrapped around the small black gift box.
I hadn't expected a gift from him, not that I thought so little of him that he would turn up empty handed on my birthday, but between the new fancy clothes from the boutique and the lavish gala dress I knew he was going to buy for me...I felt wrong for accepting anything else from him.
The box was a little stiff, evidence of its newness. But when the top was free and I peered inside, I couldn't hold back my gasp.
Sat on a velvet cushion was the most stunning Claddagh ring I'd ever seen, perfect 14ct yellow gold hands holding a brilliant heart-shaped diamond at its centre, the crown made up of thinner baguette cut diamonds that caught the light magnificently.
"Elliot," I breathed in awe, sliding the ring on my middle finger and inspecting it.
If I wasn't mistaken, his high cheek bones had reddened slightly as the women on the table gushed over its opulence. Milo didn't seem the least bit impressed, he was too busy eyeing the desert menu.
"I know how much you miss Ireland, so I thought I'd bring a little piece of Ireland to you."
His sincerity was unparalleled, it made my heart burst.
Tears formed in my eyes as I reached for him, my earlier frustrations long forgotten. He seemed startled at first, flinching as I threw my hands around his neck and pulled him closer to my body. He soon melted into the contact, his warm palm finding its way to my hip as I sighed into his chest.
"Its beautiful Elliot, I will cherish it forever. Thank you."
When I lifted my head again and peaked up at him through my lashes, he was smiling down at me. A sweet smile reserved only for me, the kind of smile that unearthed a fondness I'd not felt before. Not for him, anyway.
"You're very welcome." He breathed, his voice low and husky.
I felt his heart racing under his shirt, swift and skipping thumps that mirrored my own. The smell of him was divine too, his comforting and familiar scent of musk and spice flooding my senses.
I was completely and utterly overwhelmed by him.
His other hand found the place where my neck met my shoulder, a sensitive spot that he seemed so fond of touching. I liked him touching me there too.
When Elliot's lips parted and his breathing hitched, I knew I was done for.
Leaning in, I brushed a sweet but lingering kiss on his mouth. The corners of my lips lifting when I felt Elliot's body lean into it, reciprocating with his own tender kiss back.
Family dinner be damned, the world around us had turned blurry and insignificant, all that mattered was that I was kissing Elliot Truman and he was kissing me back.
I could have stayed locked in his embrace forever, the weight of my new ring on my finger tugging at my heartstrings every time I felt it.
Then my mum cleared her throat, and the moment was despairingly broken.
When I pushed myself back into my chair, my face warm with embarrassment, I found my mother watching me with a twinkle in her eyes.
Her look told me so much, without saying a word.
It said, 'I'm happy that you are happy.'
I wasn't surprised when the usual swell of guilt didn't arrive. Because that kiss had been real. Everything else with Elliot might be fabricated, but his birthday gift had been a genuine piece offering - that's how I saw it anyway.
"A Claddagh ring is a symbol of love and loyalty," My mum smiled, turning her affection to Elliot. "It's a beautiful gift Elliot."
I don't think Elliot had picked it out for the reasons my mother mentioned, but that didn't lessen its sentiment.

My order of cheesecake and more red wine arrived when Ashley blew up my phone with text messages. I knew she had been preoccupied with an event she was attending with Frankie most of the afternoon, so I wasn't mad about her lateness in wishing me a happy birthday.

Ash: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEWEL! xx
Ash: I can't believe you're 21, that makes me feel old!

Me: Thank you <3

Ash: Are we still on for birthday drinks and celebrations tomorrow?

Me: Absolutely, are the others coming too?

Ash: Yeah, Carol and Teddy are in!
Ash: How's dinner going?