14

𝘅𝗶𝘃

          𝘅𝗶𝘃.
          𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗮 𝗿𝗼𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗲𝘇

I searched around in my jewelry for some pretty earrings which actually matched before rushing over to the mirror, slipping them into my ears.

I smiled at my reflection. It had been a while since I'd felt this pretty. I was wearing a little more makeup than usual, and the skintight dress that I wore was more head-turning than a tennis game. It hugged every curve of my body seductively.

But no matter how pretty I thought I looked, there was an ache in my heart knowing that I would still never be enough for Cross to want me like I wanted him.

I felt ridiculous for still thinking about him.

My gaze fell allowing a string of anxious thoughts to overwhelm me. As soon as I looked down, I found the little box that Riq had gifted to me and was reminded that I still didn't know what was inside even after he explained to me that it used to belong to his granny. That was what made it sentimental.

I opened up the box and cooed softly at the necklace I found inside with a beautiful pendant hanging from a thin gold chain, immediately catching my attention. It was simple yet ornate. I smiled and quickly clasped it around my neck.

I was running a little late to meet Cross so I quickly slipped on my heels, spritzed a little perfume and headed out.

"Hey," I greeted with a soft smile once I made it outside into the brisk air, gripping the handrail as I carefully made my way down the stoop approaching him. His eyes were glued to me as he looked me over and took me in. I was a little shy walking over to him because of how intently he silently stared. "What?" I chuckled nervously.

"Nun'." He said taking his arms around my waist. We hugged briefly and while in his arms, he whispered in my ear, "You look beautiful, Lorena. Happy birthday, baby girl." And finally kissed my forehead.

"Thanks." I said awkwardly, wishing he hadn't kissed me or called me baby. Still, I forced a smile, not wanting to ruin the night despite the tension that was evident between us.

I loved this man yet I had every reason to hate him. It was no wonder I was suddenly awkward with the conflicting feelings that I felt towards him.

He raised my chin and flicked his gaze between my eyes and lips. "You good?"

"Mhm." I hummed staring into his eyes.

He grabbed my jaw with his large hand, gripping my face so that he could kiss me aggressively. I quickly pulled away with a sigh.

"Cross, what are you doing?"

"What, I can't kiss you no mo'? I'm supposed to resist you right now wit' the way you looking?" I nodded. "Nah. I got one mo' night that I can still fuck wit' you. I got every intention to take advantage of that."