LXiii| The 'gossip'

"Right, what's the gossip?" 

Mira Atkinson did not like being late

She found it incredibly rude to be so, unless it was someone aware you were late or if someone had a genuine reason/condition as to why they were late. She just hated it and often had a problem that if she was late, she'd just opt for not going at all. She couldn't handle it.

Lando wasn't too bad but he wasn't very organised either. On this particular occasion, it was his fault for being late after attempting to braid his daughter's hair while Mira got ready herself. They were supposed to be meeting up with a group of drivers.

Being back with Lando was something Mira valued a lot and she'd explained to him that she'd made up with Mike and he was going to try a little harder to be nice to Lando, which the McLaren driver was thankful for. Mike had stayed in Monaco all weekend before having to go back to work.

After what seemed like forever, Mira was in Abu Dhabi for the last race of the season before she was finally able to spend uninterrupted time with her family for the Christmas break. To make matters happy, Pato took part in FP1 so he and Esme were there for the weekend too.

"Here, sorry!" Lando Norris' voice echoed.

He seemed slightly out of breath as he jogged into the lobby, holding his daughter and Mira trailing behind him. Mira was grinning widely, blonde hair in plaits, sunglasses on and a McLaren hat on her head.

"Sorry we're late," Lando apologised. "Let's go."

They were a very British group, with Robyn, George, Lando, Mira and Lewis all being there. Mira didn't even know Lewis would be there but she knew he was very good friends with Robyn and her mentor.

"Roro!" Lily babbled as she reached a hand out for Robyn.

"Hiya Lily," Robyn smiled, giving her a small high five. "Did your dad do your hair?"

"Mhm," The blonde nodded.

"Oi, why do you think I did it?" Lando questioned.

"Because it just looks like you did, Lan," Mira added. "No offence but I plait her hair loads and it's a little more..."

"Perfect," Robyn finished.

"Okay you can both stop now," Lando rolled his eyes. "George, stop laughing!"

"You got ganged up on, Lando," George snorted.

"If my friend Esme was here, you know she would too," Mira commented. "Be lucky she left with Pato already."

Lando huffed as the group began to walk towards the track. The walk there involved a lot of fans trying to get pictures of them but with it being such a populated place, there was always security around to help them.

"This is where we split up," said Mira as they approached the paddock. "Say bye Lily."

"Bye-bye," Lily waved.

"Bye cutie," Robyn smiled as she followed George and Lews.

It was so weird to Mira that it was nearly the end of 2022 and the end of another F1 season. She still remembered being persuaded to go travelling with Lando back in Spain and Silverstone yet now she was about to complete her e-sport seasons after watching Lando race for the last time that year.

And the last time with Daniel Ricciardo as his teammate before Oscar Piastri took his place. Mira didn't know anything about Oscar but she hoped he got along with Lando since Mira didn't want Lando to be unhappy.

"Hey, do you wanna go tonight?" Lando questioned as they sat in hospitality.

"Just us?" Mira questioned.

"Yeah. My mum and dad are gonna have Lily," Lando nodded. 

"If you want to," Mira hummed. "Any occasion?"

"No...just feel like it..."

Mira smiled as nodded, trying to spot Lando's parents in hospitality though she assumed they might already be in the garage. Lando's dad was passionate about Lando's racing, which Mira always loved.

"Right, I'm going to get changed," Lando stated,"I'll see you guys in a bit."

"Right, what's the gossip?" Esme asked the second Lando had left.

"What do you mean?" Mira questioned.

"Between you and Lando," Esme stated. "You look...off. He looks like he has something to tell you. What's going on?"

"I...I...nothing?"

"Don't lie to me," Esme crossed her arms, "Oi Pato, babysit for Mira a minute."

Pato didn't have much time to disagree if he wanted to before Lily had been placed into his lap and Esme was dragging Mira to the corner of the room. Mira let out a small "Esme!" as she did so.

"Mira, tell me what's going on right now," Esme threatened. "If something is happening, I will murder Lando, bury his body and tell everyone he disappeared."

"What? No! Esme, Lando would never hurt me," Mira assured. "Sheesh, the guy panics and makes me waffles if I even look like I'll cry!" 

"Then what is it?"

"Esme, I'm pregnant," Mira whispered.

"You are?" Esme's eyes widened. "Oh, Mira! Were you expecting it or was it a surprise? How did Lando take it?"

"I haven't told him yet, I keep getting too nervous," Mira replied. "I'm going to do this weekend, I've decided."

"You shouldn't be nervous, look how good he is with that little girl Mira," said Esme softly, glancing at Lando spinning around Lily.

"But that was different, Esme. If he hadn't wanted to adopt Lily with me, I would have looked after her on my own. I want this baby but if he doesn't, I'm still changing his life forever," Mira replied in frustration.

"That man loves you, Mira, and I think he clearly adores having a family with you," Esme assured. "It'll be okay but this isn't some secret you can hide from him. You got this."

"I do?"

"You do."