XXXiii| Pato O'Ward

"I supposed I did."

"Mira, it's just turbulence it's okay

"Mira, it's just turbulence it's okay."

"I don't like it."

"No one likes turbulence,"Lando smiled. "But we're on a plane, you're gonna get that."

For those wondering why Mira Atkinson was on a plane, she was heading to the Indy500 with Lando and Esme. They had finally been persuaded to go by Pato O'Ward and since Lando was on summer break, there was no excuse not to take the offer up. What better way to experience Indycar than the most-known race in America?

Mira had been so nervous about the flight over there. She wasn't a great flyer and it was an incredibly long-winded trip. While she knew she was lucky to be able to afford to travel business class and make her easier. She wasn't petrified over and if the journey was smooth it was fine, but she just hated all the unknown aspects sometimes.

Esme claimed that if she'd get used to it if she did it more and Mira didn't disagree with her...but she just didn't want to.

Esme was past asleep in the window seat, having a booth all to herself. Lando and Mira had a joint one in the middle so the brunette could make sure the blonde was okay. He understood why it was uncomfortable for her.

Planes were loud, enclosed and unescapbale, all the things that Mira hated. Not to mention, she'd always panic about them offering food she hated because she wasn't very good at saying 'no' to people who were trying to be nice.  Then she'd spent the entire flight fidging in her seat because she couldn't find the right way to sit.

It stressed Lando out but he did his best to help. Eventually, Mira ended up spralwed on the seat with half her body leaning on lando as he ran his hand through her hair.

"Mira, you're falling asleep," Lando whispered. "Take off your glasses."

"No, what if I wake up and then panic because I can't see—"

"Then you put your glasses back on?" Lando hummed in amusement. "Or I will."

"What if you're asleep?"Mira pouted.

"Mimi," Lando warned,"You're going to break your glasses if you leave them on.a I promised Luke that i'd make sure I looked after you and I don't want the first thing of this journey to be breaking your glasses."

Mira nodded and removed her glasses, placing them into the little cup holder she had in her area. She yawned softly as her eyes drooped. They still had just over five hours until they landed so she knew she was safe to have a good nap. She just felt bad for leaving Lando awake alone.

Luckily Mira didn't snore because her biggest fear about sleeping on a flight is that people would know it was her sleeping. It sounded stupid to some people but it wasn't stupid to Mira.

"You're one of a kind, Mira," Lando hummed as he titled his head to rest on top of her's.

◢▆█▆██ 🎮 ██▆█▆◣

Mira's heart was racing as she stepped off the plane and entered the bustling airport. The noise of people rushing around, announcements blaring through the speakers, and the sound of suitcases being dragged along the floor was overwhelming. Mira struggled to process all the sensory input at once, just like she had when she was back at Heathrow. 

Her boyfriend noticed her discomfort and squeezed her hand slightly as Esme tried to shield them both from getting noticed (which was impossible). They knew how difficult it was for Mira to navigate through situations like this and the chances of her being able to do it alone were a lot less than someone like Lando who did it frequently.

Mira came prepared with headphones, earbuds, fidget toys and distractions but they only did so much and she also didn't want to be pointed out for acting 'suspicious'.

"You're good, Mira," Esme assured. "We're nearly out now."

"I know, sorry," Mira mumbled.

"Don't apologise, Mira," Esme replied sternly. "Never apologise for that."

"I just—"

"I know you feel like a child but you aren't. Don't apologise for being yourself," Esme continued as Lando gave her a grateful look.

Mira tried to calm herself as they made their way outside finally, thankful for the breeze of the air and space away from the crowds. It was still noisy but far more bearable.

McLaren had been kind enough to send a taxi for them, something Esme easily put into place through contact, so everything was waiting for them. The drive there was busy but they had expected that to a certain degree.

They barely stayed at the hotel for ten minutes before heading to the track because their flight had been delayed by an hour and Esme refused to be late to the track. Mira understood that, she didn't like to be late either.

"Okay, got your passes?" Esme checked as the other two nodded. "Perfect, amazing, great."

"You are nervous!" Mira realised with a gasp. "You're nervous to see Pato, aren't you?"

"It's been over a year since I saw him in person, Mira," Esme whispered. "What if he doesn't recognise me."

"Oh he does," Mira smirked as she nodded her head towards someone,"That's him it's it."

Esme's widened as she quickly regained herself. Pato O'Ward was walking towards them in his Arrow Mclaren shirt, having been talking to her engineers. He seemed like such a nice person to Mira, the way he walked, smiled and signed autographs was just pure kindness (or so she assumed).

"Esme, hello!" Pato beamed, "It's been a long time since I have saw you in person!"

"It has," Esme smiled. "This is my friend Mira and you already know Lando."

"Hey mate," Lando shooked hands with him.

"Nice to meet you Mira," Pato offered and shook hands with her. "Esme talks about you all the time."

"She does?" Mira replied shyly.

"Good things!" Esme added, glaring at Pato.

"Good things," Pato added with a grin. "I can't believe you actually came. It only took months to convince you!"

"I have to work, Pato," Esme chuckled. "I can't just pack up and head to a random US state for the weekend."

"You did though, did you not?" Pato replied. 

"I supposed I did."

Mira had never been very good with realising her own feelings let alone anyone else's...but something told her Esme really liked the man. Perhaps it was because she recognised her and Lando in them, at least in a few ways.

"I ship it," Mira whispered in Lando's ear.

"Yeah I ship it too."