Nervous Flyer

Simon was watching Harry in the seat across from him. He was tapping his hands on the table, flicking his head around every few seconds to look out either side of the jets windows, mumbling quietly to himself.

They'd taken off half an hour or so ago and Harry hadn't stopped looking around. Simon was used to him being cautious for the first ten minutes or so of flight (he watched Harry often when flying) but he'd normally settled by now, or at least calmed more than this, but as the minutes ticked by he showed no signs of stopping as his eyes darted around to every window in his sight.

'Hey.' Simon tried, attempting to catch his eyes as they swung around but Harry was too in his own head to even hear Simon. He gave Harry's foot a nudge with his own. 'Harry.'

Harry's eyes turned to Simon's, his tapping fingers stilling. 'Huh?' He blinked. 'You alright?' Simon didn't move his foot away from Harry's under the table. 'Yeah man, yeah, yeah i'm good. Yeah' Harry nodded very unconvincingly, eyes flicking back to his window and fingers twitching to start tapping again.

Simon leant onto the table and stilled Harry's fingers with his own. Harry's eyes moved away from the window to their hands, watching as Simon picked them up and held them between his own.

'What's up? You're not normally this bad flying.' Simon states softly, ducking his head to search for the answer in Harry's eyes, his eyebrows furrow. 'I'm not, I'm not flying bad' He mumbles. 'Just, it's just a little... It's little. It's a small jet, man, you know? And we're... We're the sidemen like? Could we not've gotten a slightly bigger one? Or something.. I don't, I don't know man...'Harry rambled, not holding eye contact for too long.

'What are you claustrophobic now or something?' Simon asked, confused. 'No, fuck no, no. We're just in a fucking... Tin can in the middle of the bloody sky. You know that private flights have a higher chance of crashing?' Harry had pulled his hands away from Simon's now, using them to gesture while he talked.

'Yes, you've told me.' Simon started, Harry's eyes meeting his once more. 'You've told me all of the statistics, Bog, including how only like a thousand of one hundred thousand flight hours are crashes' Harry watched him in silence, he didn't know Simon actually listened to him when he was rattling off statistics he'd learnt from documentaries. He kind of assumed Simon just let him go on his tangents and ignored it.

'That's one in one hundred, Harry.' Simon continued. 'Pretty decent odds, yeah? We're not gonna crash.' They were pretty good odds, Harry knew that, and yet hearing Simon say it was the thing that cleared his head. He nodded. 'Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry.' He tried to sink into his chair a little.

'Don't apologise.' Simon said with a shake of his head before standing up from his seat and reaching for a bag that was already on the jet before they'd arrived. Harry watched curiously as Simon pulled out a blanket and pillow before putting the bag back to where he found it. 'Here.' He said passing them both over to Harry. 'Sleep it off, yeah?' Harry nodded, his head stilling when their hands brushed as he took the blanket. 'It won't be a long flight. Just get your head down for a bit.'

'Thanks, Minter.' Harry smiled at him. Simon ducked his head and nodded slightly 'Course, man.' He mumbled moving back to his seat. Harry adjusted the blanket over himself and let his eyes fall to the window again, watching the wing of the jet.

Simon leant over the table once more and pulled the shutter down, making Harry jump slightly. 'Sleep.' Simon said firmly looking at him. Harry nodded and moved the pillow to get comfortable.

When he awoke an hour or so later (feeling much calmer) he blinked slowly, trying to adjust to the lights that someone seemed to have been messing around with while he slept. Once adjusted, he looked over the table and saw Simon with his head resting against the window, smiling softly at him as their eyes met. Harry couldn't fight the smile that rose to his face and he closed his eyes again briefly, opening them once more when he heard Simon's faint laugh.

'You feeling better?' Simon asked in that smug tone, barely a question. Harry hummed in reply, his smile growing. 'Thought so.' Somehow he managed to sound even smugger than before and Harry couldn't help himself from giving Simon's leg a kick under the table, letting it linger and deciding not to bother moving it back to its original place.

'Smug bastard.' Harry sighed sleepily before adding 'Thank you, Simon.' Simon nodded back. 'You don't have to worry when i'm here, Harry.' Simon almost whispered as he hooked his leg around Harry's. They held each others eyes for a few seconds until they were interrupted by Vik announcing they were getting close to the airport. Harry could only nod as their legs slipped away from each other's.