My dinner is smoked by the gods

Word of the bathroom incident spread quickly. Everywhere we went, campers were pointing at Percy and muttering something about toilet water. Or maybe they were just looking at me and Annabeth, because we were still soaked.

She showed us other places: the metal shop (where the kids forged their own swords), the arts and crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant marble statue of a goat-man) and the climbing wall, which actually consisted of two walls that faced each other and shook violently, dropped rocks, spewed lava and clashed if you didn't get to the top fast enough.

At the end of the run, we headed back to the canoe lake, to take us back to the cabins.

"I have a training to do," Annabeth said in a neutral tone. "Dinner at seven-thirty. You'll just have to follow your cabin to the mess hall.

"Annabeth, I'm sorry about the toilet," Percy said.

" Whatever."

"It wasn't my fault." She looked at him skeptically, of course it was his fault. He squirted water out of the toilet. But I couldn't figure out how.

"You need to talk to the Oracle," Annabeth said.

"Who?" I asked. "Not who. What. The Oracle. I'll ask Chiron.

I looked toward the lake, wishing someone would give me a straight answer for once.

I didn't expect anyone to look at me, so my heart missed a beat when I noticed two teenage girls sitting cross-legged at the foot of the pier, about six meters below. They wore blue jeans and glittering green T-shirts, and their brown hair floated around their shoulders as minnows darted in and out. They smiled and greeted each other as if Percy were a long-lost friend. Percy replied with a wave of his hand.

"Don't encourage them," Annabeth told him. "Naiads are terrible flirts."

"Naiads?" he repeated, completely overwhelmed. "That's it. I want to go home now."

Annabeth frowned. "Don't you get it, Percy? You are home. It's the only safe place on earth for kids like us."

Percy frowned. "You mean, mentally disturbed children?"

"I mean, not human. Not totally human, anyway. Half-human.

"Half-human and half-what?"

"I think you know."

I didn't want to admit it. I felt a tingling in my limbs. I remembered my conversation with Luke some time ago.

"My God, Percy. We're demigods."

Annabeth nodded. "Your father isn't dead, Percy. He and Kassi's mother are part of the Olympians."

"That's... crazy. "I said.

"Really? What's the most common thing the gods did in the old stories? They spent their time falling in love with humans and having children with them. Can you imagine having changed their habits over the last few millennia?"

From my point of view, I found the gods a little disgusting: most of them were married but always cheated on their husbands or wives, one partner might have been enough for them.

"But they're only..." Percy almost mentioned the myths again. Surely he remembered Chiron's warning that in two thousand years, I might be considered a myth.

"But if all the children here are half-gods..."

"Demigods," Annabeth said. "That's the official term. Or half-blood."

"Then who's your dad?"

Her hands tightened on the dock railing. I sensed Percy had just broached a sensitive subject.