Queen of hair coloring.

My Latin teacher was a horse, the Chiron of Greek myths, and we took a tour of the grounds, but Percy and I chose not to walk behind him, as I'd already had riding lessons and I'm telling you, horse manure is not cool.

We passed the camp's volleyball court, where several boarders exchanged elbows. One of them pointed to the minotaur horn Percy held in his hands as he passed they'd say, "That's him." Or when I saw them, they'd glare at me as if they were going to end up like the Cyclops.

Most of the campers were older than me. Even the satyrs were taller than Grover, even if some weren't as old as Coach Hedge. All had T-shirts printed CAMP HALF-BLOOD, and nothing to hide their behinds, so they were half-naked, good to know. The way they were looking at us made me feel uncomfortable, as if they were waiting for us to do something surreal.

I looked at the farm and then noticed the building, the big house was really a big house: three floors, blue the color of the sky, like the luxurious hotels I used to go to when I went on trips. Something caught my eye. A shadow, near the window that parted the curtain.

"What's up there?" I asked Chiron.

He looked in the direction I was pointing and his smile disappeared.

"Just the attic."

"Somebody lives there?" Percy asked.

"No," he said irrevocably. ""Not a single living thing."

I had the feeling he meant it. But something had pulled aside that curtain.

"Come, children," Chiron resumed, in a cheerful but somewhat forced tone, ""Lots to see"

We crossed the strawberry fields, where several campers were picking, filling baskets to the sound of a satyr's flutes.

Chiron explained to us that the colony had a very good crop of strawberries, which he sold on Olympus and to certain New York pays our expenses," he explained. "And the strawberries take almost no effort."

He told me that Mr.D had a very good effect on fruit bearing plants not sure if that extended to the rest of the camp if you ask me. I asked why not grapes, since he was the god of wine. He explained that it worked better on grapes but that he was forbidden from vines.

"Grover won't get in too much trouble, will he? Percy asked Chiron. "I mean...he was a good ."

"Quite ," agreed Chiron. "At any rate, Grover is a late bloomer, even by satyr standards, and not yet very accomplished at woodland magic. Alas, he was anxious to pursue his dream. Perhaps now he will find some other career..."

"That's not fair," said Percy.

We continued our tour, but I don't think Percy had let go of the case.

"Chiron," he said. "If the gods and Olympus and all that are real..."

"Yes, child?"

"Does that mean the underworld is real too?"

Chiron's face darkened.

"Yes, child." (He paused, as if choosing his words carefully.) "There is a place where spirits go after death. But for now... until we know more... I would urge you to put that out of your mind."

"What do you mean, 'until we know more'?"

"Come on, Percy, Kassi. Let's go see the woods."

Chiron was obviously hiding something from us.

This forest was truly immense. It made up at least a quarter of the valley. The trees were so tall and dense you'd think no one had logged it or even walked in it for centuries.