Chapter 24

I continued to cook in the kitchen, and heard the children playing in the other room. I was struggling a bit with the blender, and I was afraid to break it, but Elizabeth had directly asked for a fruit smoothie. I’d left it on the side for later, deciding that I should work on the actual food first.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

   I glanced over towards the kitchen, knowing daddy was working on the food for us. I smiled and turned to CC. “We should scare him!!” CC looked at me, curious. “Why would we bother with that? He was never a person to be easily scared, don’t you remember?” He questioned. I rolled my eyes. “That’s the fun of it, CC-” He shrugged a bit, and shadow stepped his bear to his room. “I don’t want to get in trouble for this, Lizzy,” He mumbled. “You won’t-! Just blame it on me. “What if.. We accidentally triggered something…” He glanced at the ground. “What would we trigger?” I asked him. He continued to look at the ground, and started to mess with his sleeves a bit. “Nothing.. Let's go-.” He sighed, and started walking towards the kitchen. I grabbed his arm and pulled him back. “CC, I haven’t even told you how we’re going to do it-?” I told him. He looked back at me, and took his arm away. “Oh right.” He was acting more off than earlier, and it piqued my curiosity.

   I had been meaning to talk to Micheal about it, but he’s always busy, and I’m afraid to get in his way. I’ve thought of telling Henry, but I doubt Henry has anything to go off of how CC should act. I guess it’s just me who notices it.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

   I continued to cut the carrots when I heard a tiny boo behind me as my shirt was pulled. I laughed a bit, and turned to look. “Hello, Lizzy,” I smiled. She looked at me disappointed. I gently pat her head. “Maybe next time, pumpkin,” I said, trying to cheer her up. As I turned my head back towards the food, I saw Evan with all his injuries and rot. And a wide smile. Just like them. Alarmed, I stepped back from both of them, almost falling to the floor, but then putting my hands on the counter to catch myself. My breathing was heavy. “Daddy, are you okay-.?” I heard Lizzy ask. Evan went down to the ground, and went back to his normal form with a blank expression. That’s when I felt it. Water. My breath hitched. I felt it. I felt it all again. All of it. All. Of. It. My vision started to become blurry, but I could see Elizabeth’s expression. “Daddy!!!!” She cried out, and went to come over to me. But Evan abruptly stopped her.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

   I looked to CC who was holding onto my arm. “Hey-!!! Let me go!!!! Can’t you see we’ve activated the Springlocks!?! We need to help him!!!! Get Uncle Henry or Micheal if you aren’t going to help me!!!!” I yelled at him. CC looked down at me, and held onto my arms tighter. “We can’t interfere-..” He said, in a monotone voice. I stared at him. “What.?!?! CC, that is our father!!!!” I screamed. I heard people running down the stairs, probably someone from the family hearing the commotion. I looked back over toward where my father was, but he was gone. I stared, and then screamed out, anger washing through my body. CC let go of me.

><><><><><><><><><><><><

   I laid on the floor, as blood started pulling around me. It was dark, but I wasn’t sure if my vision had gone, or if it was actually this dark around me. “Aren’t you going to get up, Afton?” I heard a horribly familiar voice ask me. I reached my hand out trying to feel if anyone was near me, but my hand was quickly stepped on, and the springlock feeling became more intense. I gasped out in pain, and tried to pull my hand back. “Let me go!!! I finally have my family, I’m not doing anything to you!!!” I yelled out. It was oh so dark. Laughter rang around the room I was in, and echoed against the walls. “Have you forgotten what you did? You’ve made it so we can’t see our families. We possibly still have family out there. But it’s now a new century, a new few decades. The least you can do is pay the same fate we do now everyday. We will not rest, but neither will you. An eye for an eye. A soul for a $0u1.”

   I puked up blood, and heard her step back from it. “Goodbye, Afton. I’ll leave you be.” It went quiet, and I was now alone. Again.