“Haden, this baby has no father! Carter is dead to me! And you’re already hurting me,” I murmur, tears streaming down my face again.

He studies me for a moment before he takes my hands in his. “I don’t want to hurt you, so I’m going to drop this. You can do whatever you want,” he concedes, looking sad.

               “That’s it! I want it to be something we talk about and we decide on together,” I mumble.

               “It’s not going to happen. You know why? I’m not the baby daddy. I’m just some stupid teenager who hasn’t clue what he’s doing. I’m just pretending like I know what’s going on. So you make a decision. Because if you want something we both agree on; you’ll end up crying and I’ll end up mad. I’m opposed to any unnecessary death, but you seem fine with it. So we drop the topic. We should head to the dining chambers anyway,” he informs me coldly, leading me out of his room and down the spiral staircase.

I fight hard to keep calm and pretend everything is okay. I need to get through this dinner and I can fall apart later. I can be mad at Haden after.

Haden’s being aloof and when I look up at his handsome face, I find no comfort in it. This isn’t the Haden I know. Maybe being home has him on edge. I guess it isn’t fair of me to constantly complain to him. He must have problems of his own.

Haden leads me into the dining room and holds out the chair for me. He takes his seat opposite me, and the table falls to a tensed silence. Haden’s mother looks expectant and eager while his father has the same cold and aloof aura to him.

               “So my son, would you like to explain this sudden pregnancy?” his father asks, smirking coldly.

               “Do I need to, father? I’m pretty sure you know how a pregnancy works. Need I paint out the scene for you?” Haden retorts rudely.

And I may be crazy, but I saw some pride on his father’s face at the retort. Maybe he likes Haden standing up to him?

               “What do you kids plan to do?” Haden’s mum asks to break the tension.

               “We haven’t figured it out yet. I actually came back hoping to get some answers,” Haden admits, looking angry at himself.

               “You can’t get an answer without asking a question, boy,” his father reminds him.

               “I don’t intend to ask you anything father. I may be confused and completely out of my depth at the prospect of being a father, but I decided no child of mine will have to put up with what I did. I want to be nothing like you. And so, I decided I don’t need answers from a father who was willing to kick his son out at 14,” Haden spits, looking a cross between hurt and about to cry.

I jump up and hurry to Haden’s side. I take his hand and he looks down at me, a little shocked. He gives me a small smile, still looking lost and upset though.

               “It looks like you’re already exactly like me, Haden,” his father calls coldly, smirking.

               “He’s not!” I mutter before Haden can answer. “He’s the most genuinely amazing person on Earth. He’s beautiful inside and out. And sir, I don’t know you, but within these few minutes of being in your presence, I know Haden is nothing like you. For that, I’m eternally grateful,” I spit, my body’s shaking in anger. Nobody, not even his father, should treat him so badly. “You exiled your only son and he still had the decency to be a reaper. You’re so damned lucky he isn’t like you!”

               “Jess,” Haden whispers, cupping my jaw and giving me a quick peck.

               “Come on Haden. Let’s go home. We’ll figure everything out on our own,” I murmur, tugging at his hand.

               “But this is your home Haden,” his mother murmurs softly, looking heartbroken.

Haden’s face is a mirror of hers but he shakes his head sadly. “No mum. This hasn’t been my home since I was 14. I guess it took me coming back to realise it,” he whispers sadly, his voice breaking a little.

               “So you’re going to turn your back on who you are then? Are you going to become some snivelling human?” his father demands, standing up and slamming his fists against the table.

               “Don’t be stupid father. I’m a reaper. And I’ve accepted that. I’ll continue doing my duties. You can send the files through either Matt or Alex,” Haden mimics his tone.

               “A sorry excuse for a reaper, might I add,” his father spits. “You owe me a sixteen year old.”

Haden pales a little and nods, pulling me out of the room with him. He suddenly closes his eyes and the next thing I know, we’re standing back in the mansion.

Haden’s shoulder’s hunch and he sinks to the ground, his shoulders shaking. It takes me a moment to realise Haden’s weeping bitterly.