Chapter 13 - Night Moves

13

00:58:39

The walk back down the hall towards the front felt like it was miles long as I felt the weight in my body sink into the ground with every step, wiping the tears from my face and ripping off the top layer of the paramedic uniform only to reveal a white tank top just before I let my hair down and brushed my fingers through my hair.

I finally met up with the others at the front, seeing David, Kendrick and Penny standing behind Dean who was already armed, a broken and angry expression on his face.

I pulled out my gun, checking the clip for how many shots I had left and let out a breath, looking back up at Dean and giving him a nod, "Let's go."

Kendrick unlocked and opened the door first, stepping out and peering from both sides when Dean stepped out behind him and scanned the area, glancing back at me and giving me a nod, "Coast is clear. We still need to stay quiet, and stick close together. Cat, you hold up the end, I'll lead."

I nodded silently with my hands still readied with my pistol at my side when Kendrick gestured down the road, "The marina is that way. But, I hope either one of you knows how to hotwire a boat?"

I shook my head, giving him a look, "I just hotwired a building? A boat should be no problem. Just move, now."

We all started to move in formation, my eyes still doing double time to keep a lookout for any kind of movement as I walked at the back of the group, noticing an eerie quiet surrounding us and getting a sense of unease creep up inside my chest.

I began to look up at the sky, looking into the dark and gloomy clouds above that seemed to block out every light when I noticed the clouds start to slow down and eventually break with small glimmers of light breaking through the clouds and lighting up everything else around us.

I stopped in place, calling out as I stared at the sky, "Wait!"

Dean stopped, looking back at me when he noticed I was now looking up, his eyes slowly drifting to the sky and his hardened expression softening slightly. The clouds eventually dissipated completely, the sky returning to a bright blue as the sun finally became uncovered and lit up the deserted city around us as we all stood and watched in awe.

My heart then stopped, my eyes shooting back to the clinic and racing back as I called out, "Sam!"

Dean immediately ran after me, both of us running back through the entrance to the clinic with the lights back on and fully operational, the TV in the lobby sounding a local news report when I called out again, "Sam!"

"Sammy!"

We were both running down the hall when we suddenly heard a gunshot from down the hallway, almost stumbling forward as if I felt it in my chest.

"Sam!?"

I watched as Dean ran past me, forcing myself to go after him and grasping onto the wall for support as my chest heaved and tears filled my eyes.

Dean hadn't even made it to the door yet before Sam yanked it open, stepping out just as Dean slowed down to a stop, his eyes meeting Sam's as they both stopped in place.

Sam just shook his head, "What just happened? Is it over?"

I stood from afar and watched as Dean silently pulled Sam into a hug, both of them holding onto each other as I dropped my head and let out a sigh of relief, eventually dropping to my knees while still holding onto the wall and grasping for my chest, "Oh, thank god... Thank you..."