Chapter 9 - Abandon All Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here

9

February 13th, 2010, 8:39 A.M.

Griffin and I were finally approaching the edge of the woods as we cut through the backyards of the houses in between where we had parked and where the cross road ahead was completely blocked off with all sorts of Military vehicles in rows.

"You know, I could've carried you the whole way? You're probably going to need to conserve your strength anyway?"

I shook my head, "I'm fine, I just had a nap? And if you carry my unconscious body out of the woods, I think we might send the wrong kind of signal too early?"

Griffin shrugged in agreement, "Fair point? I guess I didn't think of that."

Griffin and I then quietly walked through the middle path between two small houses, seeing a crowd of people gathered around the cars, with some already being parked and deserted as the uproar of people finally began to reach our ears. Just ahead there were some larger trucks, hearing the occasional sounding of a car horn as we became quickly aware of the chaos already happening where the barrier was as they started to back people away and tell them to turn around.

Griffin and I snuck up behind the semi-truck that was parked and peered around the corner, looking for a perfect target while also assessing which ones were armed while trying to get past the police officers scattered around. I nodded to myself, turning back and giving him a look as I shook my head, "Alright, toy soldier. It's showtime."

A few moments later, Griffin was carrying my limp body in his arms as he rushed towards the barrier, finding a shorter blonde woman and hamming it up as he stumbled forward and begged her for help, "Can somebody help me? Please! She needs a doctor!"

The woman's eyes met his as she came forward, "What happened?"

Griffin shook his head, "I don't know, she was fine one second, and then... She just stopped talking? Which is unusual for her?"

She furrowed her brows slightly, shaking her head, "How long has she been unconscious?"

Griffin shrugged, shaking his head, "Uh, I- I don't know, maybe a few minutes? She won't wake up no matter what I do, please- you have to help me-"

"Okay, sir. It's okay, follow me."

She turned away when Griffin nodded, his facial expression relaxing slightly as he started to follow after her, "Thank you. Thank you so much."

We were finally led back down the street and down another side street where there was an ambulance parked, Griffin starting to get a little worried as he followed after the blonde woman who was dressed fully in a military uniform and hat, noticing the gun holstered on her hip. Two paramedics then stepped outside of the back of an open ambulance, one of them a tall dark-skinned man and the other a shorter woman with dark hair pulled back into a bun.

"What's the problem?"

Griffin shook his head, the worried expression returning to his face, "I don't know? She won't wake up, I don't know what to do-"

"It's alright, sir. Set her down here."

Griffin climbed into the back of the ambulance with me, laying me gently onto a stretcher when the blonde woman nodded at both of the paramedics, "You got it from here?"