Chapter Seventeen: Making a Choice

Crowley turned to Hastur, telling him to check the other side of the ship for boats. Hastur nodded and left the two alone. On the other side of the ship, Sandalphon made his way over to Gabriel as officers loaded more fireworks to set off. Sandalphon got Gabriel's attention, saying that he saw Aziraphale on the other side of the ship with Crowley. Murdoch started yelling for anyone else to get in the boat. Gabriel looked at the almost full boat with women, children, and men aboard.

Gabriel wanted to get on but he had to go and see Aziraphale and try and claim him once more. This time, for good. Gabriel left to see the couple, Sandalphon following behind. Mr. Ismay also coordinated the lifeboats to ensure everyone got into the boats. But now that the deck was empty, he saw one space left for him. And he didn't hesitate to take it. Murdoch looked at him but did nothing to stop him, ordering the lifeboat to be lowered.

Back with Crowley and Aziraphale, they watched as a young girl was taken away from her father and into the lifeboat. She didn't want to leave her father but he assured her that they would only be separated for a little while and that there would be another boat for him later. He told her and her sister to be good girls for their mother and that they would see each other again. Hearing this conversation, Aziraphale refused to board the lifeboat. He didn't want to leave without Crowley. Crowley told him that he had to but he still refused.

"Get in the boat, Angel!" Crowley told him

"No, Crowley," Aziraphale refused to move

"Get on the boat!"

"Yes, get on the boat, Aziraphale," Gabriel said walking up to them

Aziraphale stared at Gabriel, thinking he had escaped him almost an hour ago.

"My God, look at you. You look a fright. Here. Put this on," Gabriel put his coat on Aziraphale, taking off the blanket someone had given him.

After putting his coat on him, Aziraphale stepped away from him, Crowley getting in between the two

"Go on, I'll get the next one," Crowley said, still insisting he gets on a boat

"No, not without you," Aziraphale said

"I'll be all right. Listen, I'll be fine. I'm a survivor, all right? Don't worry about me. Now go on, get on."

"I have an arrangement with an officer on the other side of the ship," Gabriel spoke up, "Anthony and I can get off safely, both of us."

"See?" Crowley said now that Aziraphale had some reassurance, "Got my own boat to catch."

"Now, hurry. They're almost full."

Aziraphale was pulled into the boat and sat down with the other passengers. Aziraphale grabbed Crowley's hand, wanting to stay with him or at least pull him into the boat with him but an officer pulled them apart, telling Crowley to step back. Once Aziraphale was sat down, the boat started to lower. Aziraphale and Crowley maintained eye contact as he was lowered down to the ocean below.

"You're a good liar," Gabriel complimented Crowley

"Almost as good as you," Crowley said," There's no, uh-- There's no arrangement, is there?"

"No, there is. Not that you'll benefit much from it. I always win, Crowley... one way or another."

Crowley knew that Gabriel had done this just to keep the two apart for good. And, at last, he was willing to accept defeat. Either way, even if Crowley were to board a boat, he may never see Aziraphale again. Looking back into the lifeboat, Crowley watched as Aziraphale was being lowered to safety, taking off his sunglasses just for a better final look. The two looked at each other as everything around them seemed to go quiet. The barking of orders, the yells of passengers, the crying children after being separated from their fathers, and the firing of rockets all went quiet as the two looked at each other for what seemed to be the last time.

Aziraphale couldn't bear the thought of leaving Crowley alone in his watery grave and jumped back onto the ship, much to the surprise of Crowley, Gabriel, and everyone on the lifeboat. The crew tried to get him to come back on but two passengers helped him back onto the ship. Crowley and Gabriel called out to him, wondering why he was doing this. Once back on the ship, Aziraphale started to run back to the upper deck. Crowley wasted no time running to go and find him with Gabriel lagging behind him.

The two eventually met at the Grand Staircase where they embraced and kissed each other. In between kisses, Crowley called him stupid, asking him why he jumped back onto the ship. Aziraphale just told him that if he jumped, he would jump too. Crowley couldn't argue with him at that point, just happy that he might not lose him to Heaven just yet. Gabriel watched from the top of the staircase the two kissing and embracing.

Sadnalphon found Gabriel looking down at them and realised that nothing they could do would break them apart and accepted that. He pulled Gabriel away from the scene, wanting to take him back to the lifeboats so at least his boss would be safe. But Gabriel was far from done with them. He grabbed Sandalphon's gun and ran back over to where he saw the couple, shooting at them. Crowley noticed what Gabriel was doing and pushed them both out of the way.

The bullet missed and split a piece of wood in half. Seeing that they were in danger, the two ran for it, hoping to escape Gabriel's rage. Gabriel ran down the stairs, slipping on the wood he had shot, slowing him down. He got back up, picked up the gun, and continued the chase. Aziraphale and Crowley ran down several flights of stairs, avoiding the gunshots Gabriel fired at them. The couple went all the way down the stairs until they made it to the flooded dining room.

Gabriel reached the dining room and continued to shoot at them in a blind rage, hitting neither of them until he had run out of bullets and the two had escaped. Recovering from his rage, he realised now that he had gone into the water which suddenly became freezing. He yelled to them that he hoped they enjoy their time together, before exiting the water. But, as he did, he laughed when he realised the mistake he made.

"What could possibly be funny?" Sandalphon asked him

"I put the diamond in the coat," Gabriel said, sharing the mistake he had just made, "And I put the coat on him!"