Chapter Thirteen: Loading The Lifeboats

The Captain was in the telegram room, telling the operator to send out the distress signal, C.Q.D, to any ships in the area. The Captain asked the operator to tell whoever responded that they were going down by the head and needed immediate assistance. The operator in charge was happy that he had decided to fix the telegram that day otherwise that wouldn't have been possible. But he sent out the distress signal, telling anyone nearby what the situation was.

Up on deck, every officer was doing everything they could to get the lifeboats ready to launch while the passengers stayed inside as it was too cold and noisy for them. Mr. Andrews was assessing everything outside before going in to check on the passengers. The band was playing to entertain the people around them while everyone was confused as to what was going on.

Not even Molly could get an answer out of anyone. But the Metatron was so oblivious to the situation that he asked the maids to turn the heating on in their rooms and wanted a cup of tea when he got back. Aziraphale caught Mr. Andrews as he went to check on other passengers. He could see on his face that he was worried and wanted to know the truth.

"Mr. Andrews," Aziraphale caught him at the staircase, "I saw the iceberg and I see it in your eyes. Please tell me the truth."

Mr. Andrews took Aziraphale away from the crowd to tell him

"The ship will sink," Mr. Andrews told him

"You're certain?" Aziraphale asked

"Yes, in an hour or so... all this will beat the bottom of the Atlantic."

"What?" Gabriel asked who was listening in

"Please, tell only who you must. I don't want to be responsible for a panic," Mr. Andrews told the two, "and get to a boat quickly, don't wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?"

"Yes..." Aziraphale said remembering all too well, "I understand."

Mr. Andrews nodded and left. Below deck, Crowley was being cuffed to a large pipe until they were told what to do with him. A sailor ran in, telling the Master-at-Arms that he was needed up in the Second Class purser's office as there was a big mob up there. Sandalphon told the Master-at-Arms to go and that he would keep an eye on Crowley. the Master-at-Arms allowed it, locked Crowley's cuffs, and left, giving the key to Sandalphon.

Above deck, one of the telegram operators ran up to the Captain with news. A ship called the Carpathia was going full speed to reach the Titanic. She was the closest ship to them but it would take four hours for them to reach the ship. The Captain didn't like that the Carpathia wouldn't make it in time but, at that moment, it was better than them not arriving at all. The Captain then left for the lifeboats with this information still in his mind.

An officer walked up to him that the lifeboats were ready to launch and asked if they should load all the women and children into the boats first. Distracted, the Captain didn't answer the officer until he asked again for confirmation. The Captain gave him permission to let all the women and children on first before leaving them to it. The officer called all the passengers forward as the noise outside finally stopped.

He told everyone what his orders were for the lifeboats and started to load the women and children in first. The First Class orchestra came on deck with their instruments. They were told by the Captain to play some music to save everyone from going into a panic. All the while, below deck in Third Class, everyone was being ordered to put their lifevests on. Hastur grabbed one on his way to the stairs with Ligur to escape the flooding.

Unfortunately, the gates to the stairs had been closed to prevent anyone from leaving. The crewmember on the other side explained that it wasn't time to go to the lifeboats yet and to stay calm. But Hastur thought it was all a lie. Above deck, Murdoch was in charge of letting down the lifeboats so that everyone could leave the boat safely. But what was interesting on Murdoch's side of things was that he had let men aboard the lifeboat too despite his orders.

He wanted to give some of them a chance too. As he coordinated the launch, other crew members were setting off fireworks. Not for the passengers to enjoy but to signal any ships who hadn't caught their distress signal. Aziraphale watched them go off while waiting to get into a lifeboat. Meanwhile, below deck, Crowley could see the water coming up on the porthole window.

To make things worse, Sandalphon was letting a bullet slide off the table before catching it, showing how tilted the ship had become. Crowley looked at Sandalphon as he heard the bullet rolling off the table. He put the bullet back into his gun before telling Crowley that he was beginning to think that the ship would sink. As a token of his appreciation, Sandalphin punched Crowley in the stomach, causing him to collapse in pain.

He couldn't hold his stomach either due to his hands still being cuffed to the pipe. Sandalphon took the key to the cuffs and left Crowley alone. Up on deck, it was now time for Aziraphale, the Metatron, Molly, and some others to get in the boat. Molly was encouraging others to get in the boat before she did. Gabriel asked if there was room for him but the officers said that there was no room for him at that moment in time.

The Metatron selfishly asked if the lifeboats were seated according to class before commenting to Gabriel that he hoped they weren't too crowded. Having had enough of his boss' attitude, Aziraphale told him to shut up. This shocked the Metaron but, before he could say anything, Aziraphale told him about how the water was freezing and there weren't enough boats for half of the ship. Half of the people on that ship were going to die.

Gabriel commented that the better half of the ship wouldn't. Aziraphale looked at Gabriel, shocked at his awful comment. Molly told the Metaron to get in the boat with her so he did. As the Metaron entered the boat, Gabriel made a comment that angered Aziraphale to the core. He said that it was a pity he didn't keep the drawing Crowley made and that it would be worth a lot more by morning. Aziraphale now realised that Gabriel had set Crowley up just to keep them apart. Molly took him out of his thoughts, saying that it was his turn to get in the boat.

But Aziraphale didn't move. The Metatron tried to get Aziraphale into the boat but Aziraphale just bid the voice of God goodbye and left. He had to save Crowley from his watery grave. Gabriel stopped him, asking him where he was going. But he knew that he didn't need him to answer that. He asked him if he really wanted to be a man whore to a gutter rat. Aziraphale just told him that he'd rather be Crowley's man whore than an Archangel. He tried leaving again but Gabriel kept his grip. Just to escape, Aziraphale spat at him and ran to find Crowley. And that would be the last time the Metatron would ever see Aziraphale.