Part 28: In Need of Saving

Balloons attached to banners flapped in the wind, said banners displaying discounts in big, colorful letters. At the top of a familiar-looking mall, amusement park rides carried laughing children as loving families wandered between booths and attractions.

Nayuta rode one of these rides, letting out cries of excitement as the slow ride carried her around and around in a circle.

Legs sat on a bench nearby, a tired look on his tired, baggy eyes.

"So you didn't join the church after all..." Fumiko muttered, donning a shirt that revealed her midriff as she stood next to Legs' bench.

"Night Patroller's dead." Legs said bitterly.

"That's a shame..." Fumiko sighed. "Bring a hero must've felt sooo good... All the recognition and respect..." Fumiko said, making the bitter look on Legs' face grow even bitterer. "I imagine you get to experience the thrills we ordinary people can never get a taste of..." Fumiko said.

"...I never got any of that love." Legs sighed. "No one even knew I existed..." Legs said. "Sure, it was fun killing devils, being the strongest, but in the end, nothing was changing. It was just a distraction." Legs said.

"True..." Fumiko said. "Man, you got all the bad and little to no good out of the whole hero thing, didn't you?" Fumiko said. 

"I'd rather die than get watched in the bathroom..."

Fumiko said.

...

...

...

"...What?" Legs said, his eyes widening. "The hell do you mean watched in the bathroom!?" Legs said, the volume and pitch of his voice raising.

"Oops!" Fumiko muttered. "I wasn't supposed to tell you that! Pretend you never heard it!" She said.

"You...! You're telling me you've seen me-" Legs stammered.

"Oh, geez... I've really done it now! I'm gonna get in trouble again..." Fumiko groaned, turning her gaze to the sky. "Still, I've never seen anyone cry that much before..." Fumiko commented.

Legs wanted to die even more.

"I-I can't believe you!!! How long have you been watching me!?!?!?" Legs yelled, furious.

"How long have you been staring at my midriff?" Fumiko retorted.

...

...

...

"THAT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!" Legs spat, pointing at her vindictively.  "Sexual assaulting me...! Stalking me...!" Legs hissed. "You're a fucking creep!!!" Legs yelled.

"Who wouldn't want to sexually assault one of the heroes?" Fumiko asked. "Besides, I'm not a creep, I'm your fan! Call me your fan!" Fumiko said.

"I don't need a goddamn fan!!!" Legs said. "The last time I had a fan, she ended up hating me." Legs said, noticeably quieting at the end of that sentence.

...

Fumiko was silent.

"Well, sure, I hate you guys a bit too." Fumiko muttered, averting her face.

"What...?" Legs asked.

"Because the heroes didn't save..." Fumiko began.

"...My mom and dad."

...

Legs was silent, his eyes wide as he stared at her.

...