Part 3: Heroes

"About yesterday, um..." Asa muttered, averting her eyes. It was the next day, and she was currently standing in front of Yuko in the locker room.  "Thanks..." She said. "The shoes... You can have them back..." She said.

"Huh!? I said you could keep them!" Yuko said.

"That's okay. They were a little too small."

"Ohm too bad." Yuko said.

"...Yeah." Asa said.

Yuko smiled.

"Hey, do you wanna go into town to look for devils after school today!?" Yuko asked enthusiastically. "There'll be way more devils out in town! Guaranteed!" She said. "And we can avoid jerks at school that way too!"

...

"Sure... I could be down for that." Asa said.

"Awesome!"

----------

Later in the day, the two began patrolling the town for devil activity. Now, they had stopped at a bench to rest and eat some snacks.

"I guess our third partner skipped school today." Yuko said. "I never even got his name... is he not serious about joining the devil club?" Yuko asked rhetorically.

"I'd say that's a good thing..." Asa muttered.

"Huh?"

"Nothing."

...

"Why'd you decide to join, Yuko?" Asa asked.

"Cuz I wanna be a devil hunter, duh!" Yuko said. "You can earn big paychecks without even a college degree!" Yuko explained. "Not to mention, my parents got killed by a devil. So I'd be, like, an avenger! Perfect, right!?" Yuko asked.

Asa stared at her for a moment.

"Me too! My parents were killed by a devil too!" She said.

"Really!? Is that why you're joining too, Asa!?" Yuko asked.

"Uh-Y-Yeah. More or less..." Asa lied.

"Oh, man! This is gonna sound so wrong, but.." Yuko began. "We're kinda like manga characters, don't you think!?" Yuko asked giddily. "When we become devil hunters,  we should partner up as buddies! Like two avenging angels of death!" She said.

"Sure, if we become devil hunters..."

"Awesome! No takebacks!" Yuko cheered, getting up from her seat. "I have to pee when I get excited! I'm gonna hit the restroom!" She said, hopping to the bathroom.

Asa gazed at the restroom for a moment longer, before taking a bite out of her taiyaki. She chewed for a moment, before swallowing. She sat for a moment, before turning back to the other side of the bench.

"We should kill her."

The War Devil said, now sitting where Yuko was.

...

"Come again?"

"The remains of your kills belong to you. Let's kill Yuko and turn her into a weapon." War said.

...

"Don't... Don't be ridiculous..." Asa muttered.

"To kill a devil, you'll need a powerful weapon, no? The guiltier you feel about creating a weapon, the stronger it will be. You like her. She would make a good one." War explained. "Luckily, this city has plenty of abandoned buildings. Choose the location wisely, and you can kill with little risk." War said.

"Th-There's no way I'm doing that." Asa stuttered. "Are you insane!?" She snapped. "You're always jumping to violence. What, is that the best you can come up with!?" She asked.