CH: 10

Nishita

“Nishita!!” oh god my mom, I was dressing up, I don’t get it why she always ruins my mood whenever we need to go somewhere. I mean family gatherings was never my type, I rather sit with a book or sketchbook or do my work, or just sleep or rest. But I have to start doing a lot of things despite my liking, doesn’t matter if I liked it earlier or not, I have to do it since I am going to get married, this is what I tell myself everyday so that I can atleast prepare myself of everything.

I looked down at my finger, the ring looked pretty but the weight it held was something which I would never want to hold but I have to bear it with everything. Everything was starting to feel scary, the engagement, the ring, the way Seungcheol’s mom liked me, it was making me feel overwhelmed, and most importantly Seungcheol. I don’t know how to feel about him.

“Is this how you’re going to be a responsible woman?” my thoughts were again interrupted because of my mom. I sighed and turned to look at her, “what now mom?”

“aren’t you ready yet? We need to leave” I looked at her in disbelief, “I am ready.”

“Good.” I didn’t want her to start any other lecture about how I should be a responsible woman and what not. And everytime she tells me about all this, it reminds me of that engagement ceremony, how Seungcheol was telling me about my responsibilities, he was the last person I expected to tell me all this. “let’s go, your dad is already waiting”

I nodded and took my sling bag and phone. I followed my mom. “Did you wear your muffler Nishita?” I stopped when I heard mom asking, “Yes” At times when she shows affection I feel uncomfortable and foreign as if affection and care wasn’t meant for me.

I saw dad standing infront of his car, “Can I drive today please?” my dad looked shocked, because it was rare for me to drive his car. “Okay. If my daughter wants to drive then why not” he smiled at me.

They got inside the car and I got inside the car. The whole drive was peaceful, Delhi’s winters were something. Everything looked so gloomy but somewhere I felt alive. Summers in Delhi are just not my type, I like autumn the most, they give me the best feeling ever.

It didn’t take us more than forty five minutes today; that was something new. I parked the car and we all got out. The moment I steeped out the car, the cold chilly wind hit my face, making me feel nice.

“Let’s go” I was walking towards the door, mom looked back at me, “be nice to everyone, they are going to be your in laws. You know how a responsible-

“Kitne baar bolte rahogi usko, rehen do na” (how many times will you tell her, leave it) I was glad, dad spoke this time or else I would’ve snapped.

Door was opened by Seungcheol’s mom, she hugged mom tight. I greeted her, “Nishita” She cupped my face once again, it was slowly becoming her thing whenever she saw me. she would give me a smile and then cup my face; then say how she missed me and how I looked pretty.

“How was your day?” I smiled at her, “it was okay”

“come inside, it’s cold” I nodded. Their house was warm, I took off my coat since I was wearing one more sweater and walked with my dad. My eyes drifted to the right side and saw Seungcheol coming down from upstairs, he was wearing casuals.

The moment he walked towards me, it reminded me of that evening, and how we didn’t talk after that. It’s been ten days since we talked face to face. We never exchanged calls or texts after that day. He greeted my mom and dad; he gave a small smile and the urge to not return the smile was very high yet everyone was present and I couldn’t ignore him and if I dared then I don’t know what will happen the moment I leave this place, I wasn’t ready for another tough night. So, I gave him a smile.