07. It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester

Start from the beginning

"Anyone who might have held a grudge against him?"

"What do you mean?"

Mrs. Wallace got what Sam meant and got offended. "Are you suggesting an affair?"

"Is it possible?"

"No! No, Luke would nev-"

"I'm very sorry. We just have to consider all possibilities."

"If someone wanted to kill my husband, don't you think they'd find a better way than a razor in a piece of candy he might eat?"

Sam looked at Dean and Cataleya who raised their eyebrows at Sam.

MOTEL ROOM

Sam was sitting on a couch with his laptop and a few books on the coffee table in front of him while he flipped the pages of the books. Cataleya flipped through other books and ran a hand through her hair. He picked up something from the hex bag that looked organic and held it up. Dean entered and tossed his keys on the table under the window. He unwrapped a piece of candy before tossing it in his mouths.

Sam saw him put the candy in their mouths. "Really? After that guy choked down all those razor blades?"

"It's Halloween, man," Dean reasoned.

Cataleya glanced up. "It's Dean, Sam. There's no other way to explain him."

"Thanks a lot, Leya."

Cataleya shot him a smirk. "Anytime."

"Yeah, every day for us is Halloween," Sam told him.

Dean sat on the arms of the couch and looked at Sam's research.

"Anything interesting?" Dean asked.

"Well, we're on a witch hunt, that's for sure, but this isn't your typical hex bag."

Sam indicated to the hex bag which was open on the table. There was a silver piece, the size of a coin, and something small and charred in addition to the organic thing that looked like a dried up flower.

"Hmm, no?" Dean said.

Sam picked up the dried up flower looking piece. "Goldthread, an herb that's been extinct for 200 years. And this," he picked up the silver piece, "is Celtic, and I don't mean some new age knock-off. It looks like the real deal, like 600 years old real." Dean picked up the charred thing and smelled it. "And um... that is the charred metacarpal bone of a newborn baby."

"Ugh." He put the bone down, looking disgusted. "Gross."

Cataleya nodded. "Yeah, I thought so too, but you don't have to worry."

"Relax, man, it's like, at least a hundred years old," Sam told him.

Dean met his eyes. "Oh, right, like that makes it better? Witches, dudes, they're so friggin' skeevy. And using newborn baby bones. That's just sick."

Dean moved over to the chair next to the couch and sat down while Cataleya stood at the end, stretching her arms.

"Yeah, well it takes a pretty powerful one to put a bag like this together. More juice that we've ever dealt with, that's for sure. What about you two? Find anything on the victim?"

"This Luke Wallace?" Dean said. "He was so vanilla that he made vanilla seem spicy."

Sam scoffed at their lack of leads.

"We can't find any reason why somebody would want this guy dead," Cataleya added. "It's really damn frustrating."

BASEMENT