15

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone.

"Hey, doll." Dallas said smoothly, on the other line.

"What do you want, Dallas?" I rolled my eyes, as Ponyboy leaned his head next to mine to listen.

"Well, I-... have you been drinking?" Dallas quickly asked.

"Nooo." I giggled.

Yes.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

"I need a favor, hun. I need you to come bail me out." Dallas quickly changed the subject.

Bail him out?

When did he get picked up by the cops?

Jesus Christ! I was only gone for a few hours.

"Dallas. Tucker. Winston. What the hell did you do?! Why the hell are you in jail!" I hollered.

"Calm down, sweetheart," his accent seemed thicker over the phone, "I was mad and... well, never mind what I did... you know, you looked so beautiful in that dress..."

"Don't try to sweet talk me, Winston," I hissed, "why don't you ask your girlfriend for the money?"

Dallas went quiet for a moment.

"I already know she ain't got any money, so there's no point of asking her. So, I'm phoning a friend..." I just know Dallas was smirking as he said that.

"What on God's green earth makes you think we are friends at the moment?" I forced a sarcastic chuckle.

Dallas stayed quiet.

"Dal, I just bailed myself out. I used all my money on that. I got maybe a few dollars to my name. You're gonna have to call Buck, or something."I spoke again.

"Buck's out of town the next week for rodeo stuff, I ain't got no one else to call. They're gonna hold me for two or more months, man." Dallas begged.

I let out a long sigh, as I glanced over at Ponyboy.

He was focusing hard on listening to Dallas's and I's conversation.

I did sorta feel bad for Dallas.

"I'm sorry, Dal. I wish I could help you, but I don't have any money to bail you out." I sighed, and rested my head against the wall.

"It's alright, doll.... I really did mean it, though. You did look wonderful in that dress. I'm gonna miss you." Dallas spoke in a much softer tone.

Oh, don't do this to me, Dallas.

It hurt to hear him say that.

Because, deep down inside I knew I would miss him too.

"Goodnight, Dal." I said quietly.

"Goodnight, hun." Dallas replied, and hung up the phone.

I hung the phone up, and Ponyboy shot me a smirk.

"Whattttt?" I dragged out.

"I'm gonna miss you, dol." Ponyboy mocked Dallas.

So, I smacked him in the back of the head.

...

It was quiet while Dallas was gone.

Though I had the gang, and Johnny by my side, I still felt... lonely.

I guess I just wished that Dallas and I were on good terms all the time, not when we were just alone.

It didn't change the fact that we weren't always on good terms.

It didn't change the fact my parents still beat up on me.

Johnny got jumped too, pretty bad.

I swear he almost jumps at his own shadow now.

I don't know what happened to cause so much tension between the greaser's and soc's all of a sudden.

...

"Thanks for going to the movie with me." Ponyboy said, as we stepped out into the bright sunlight, from the darkness of the movie house.

"No problem, Pony." I smiled, as we began our walk back to the Curtis house.

Ponyboy and I went to the movies after school.

Though, I wasn't really much of a Paul Newman fan, I enjoyed it.

I was better than sitting in my room at the Curtis house alone.

Through our peaceful walk was short lived, when a dark red mustang sped past us, before pulling a u-turn.

"Run, through the alleyway!" Ponyboy told me, before he took off running.

I followed him as fast as I could.

Running between buildings, and jumping over bins.

We just had to make it to the Curtis house.

And as we rounded the corner, I could see the Curtis house two blocks away.

But Ponyboy and I weren't quick enough.

The mustang pulled out right in front of us.

Four or five guys jumped out of the car.

They quickly grabbed Ponyboy and I, and threw us to the ground.

I think they hit my face on the way down, because the cut on my cheekbone started pouring blood again.

They held a knife to Ponyboy's neck and said, "you need a hair cut, grease," before dragging the sharp tip against his skin a little bit.

His neck started to drip blood, as Ponyboy winced in pain.

The socs all looked up, and to their right, before running back to their car.

Everything happened so fast.

The gang must have heard us yelling, and came running from the house.

People were running around throwing punches.

I think I even saw a large branch from a tree fly through the air, as the socs drove away.

Someone grabbed me from under the armpits, and lifted me too my feet.

God, my head throbbed.

"You alight, man?" They asked, as the held me upright for a few seconds to catch my balance.

They must have really hit my head good, because that sure sounded like Dallas Winston.

"I think I saw stars with that one." I groaned, as the whole gang started walking back to the Curtis house.

"You're bleeding pretty good, doll." They said again, as the placed their hand on my lower back.

I looked over, to see Dallas Winston at my side.

A large smile instantly appeared on my face, but it quickly faded, as I remembered what he did to me.

Ditching me for prom.

Going back to Sylvia.

"Aren't you supposed to be in jail or something?" I scuffed, pushing his hand away from me, as all of us made it too the front lawn of the Curtis house.