32

That following day, Darry made me go to school. 

I honestly forgot about school. 

It was just about the end of the school year anyway, I was passing all my classes with flying colors, so I don't even know why he was still making me go. 

I honestly didn't even know what day it was. 

But, going to school didn't bother me. 

What did bother me, was Dallas. 

Because something had changed since the night before. 

I'm not exactly sure what caused him to act like this, but he seemed back to his old ways. 

Rude, harsh, as if nothing ever happened between the two of us. 

Dallas hardly said two words to me all day. 

...

"Do you want to.... maybe do something later?" I asked Dallas sheepishly, as him, Johnny, Ponyboy and I all walked home from school. 

I really didn't care if we actually did something later or not, I was really only asking to test the waters. 

I just wanted to see what he would say, hoping it would give me some sort of hint on why he was acting this way. 

"No, why would I?" Dallas scuffed at my question, as he walked faster to walk ahead of me.  

On top of my bitching hangover I had, and my back still hurting, Dallas's attitude didn't help. 

"What's his deal?" Johnny leaned over and asked me. 

"I don't know, he's been like this all day. Did I do something wrong?" I asked Johnny.  

Johnny shrugged, and looked at the ground. 

"Don't know." He simply replied. 

Dallas's attitude only got worse once we got to the Curtis house.  

And it continued to grow worse as the night went on.  

...

I stood in the hallway, leaning against the wall. 

I watched TV from a distance, as the Curtis Brothers, Johnny, and Dallas all sat in the living room. 

I felt if I sat with them, it would only make Dallas worse.

After a while, Dallas got up from the couch. 

Dallas walked towards me down the hall. 

He bumped my shoulder, almost knocking me off of my feet as he passed. 

I stumbled back, catching myself on the wall, as Dallas continued to walk past me and into my room... without batting an eye. 

Dallas returned a few minutes later. 

"Hey, Dal?" I said, as he passed me. 

Dallas rolled his eyes, and turned around to face me.  

"What do you want?" Dallas spoke loudly, so everyone could hear he was clearly annoyed. 

"I- um... did I do something wrong?" I asked him quietly. 

"Everything you do is wrong.  Can you just leave me alone? You've been on my ass all day!" Dallas spat.