Chapter Sixteen - Daddy's Home

Start from the beginning

"Okay love birds. You're giving everyone a show." Manu comes up to tell us as Bax's lets me down. We walk up the beach watching Ari's heat next. Poppy and I's heat were the last two as I try to focus on anything except the way Bax looked at me when I called myself Kai Radic. It didn't take long for him to find his way back towards me, the boys stopping him for a chat. His trunks were riding low on his hips, his rashie long gone. His toned abs on full display, I bite my bottom lip as I stare shamelessly at him. I know he's smirking at me....know he's enjoying my heated gaze on him. "Earth to Kai" Summer shouts loudly earning a few stares my way as my cheeks redden. "Summer" I say in a low tone. "I just wanted to tell you that.....I'm glad you're here...that's all really. Just wanted you to know that Bax isn't the only one that's happy to have you with us" She says nudging me with her shoulder, a wide grin on her lips. "Thanks Summer. I'm glad I'm here too." I tell her my eyes traveling to those perfect ocean eyes already looking back at me. "Go rip it out there" She tells me as I nod my head. I go back into our tent as I put on my yellow rashie with my number. I grab my thruster and start heading for my spot on the beach. Bax hurries along after me pulling me to a stop as he kisses me deeply. "You've got this. Your the best surfer out here.....remember she's right here" he points to my head then to my heart "and right here." I felt the tears already welling up as I nod my head. "I love you Kit Kat" He smiles sweetly as the tears start to fall. "Stop being so perfect" I tell him as he laughs. "Go get those 10's baby" He smacks my ass as I give him a wink and get set in my spot on the beach waiting for Poppy's heat to finish.

"Next up is Kai Anoki going head to head with Sage Moore. I'm excited to see this match up" The male commentator says as we rush into the water. We make our way into the line up waiting for the perfect wave. It looks like Sage is going to take this one but she backs out the last second. "That's going to hurt the Queenslander" the woman commentator calls from the shore. I see what looks like the makings of a perfect wave. I turn around as I start to paddle Sage sitting on the board watching me take it. I drop in with precise skill. I gain speed as I make a beautiful backside tailslide. "I think we can all agree that Anoki has incredible composure under pressure." The male commentator says as I continue to focus on my wave. I notice a steep pitching section in the wave, a perfect opportunity to do a floater. I wait for the precise time to make my bottom turn just as the pitching section reaches its peak as I project up the face of the wave driving my board vertically towards the wave. I glide beautifully across the lip of the wave maintaining my balance and control. I can already hear the screams and cheers from the shore as I descend from the lip preparing to absorb the impact of my landing. I need to make sure I stick the landing, if I can do that I'll get a perfect score. I brace myself as I control my board having a smooth transition down the line. "A perfect Floater from Anoki" One of the commentators say "There's a reason she was National champ last year" The other says as I paddle back out to the line up.

"Impressive" Sage says before paddling to catch the next wave. For the next fifteen minutes we wait for a wave, Sage took another one that ended up fizzling out, not giving her much of a ride. I take my time not letting the clock counting down phase me. "Send me a good one mum" I say looking up at the sky. There was only two minutes left for me to catch something.....the clock was ticking as I see it.....I turn my board as I start paddling taking a deep breath before popping up and dropping in. This wave was beautiful, setting me up for the perfect opportunity to try another trick. I carve in gaining the speed I need to make an alley-oop. I can hear the cheers from the shore as I land it. "Anoki came to win it" the woman commentator says as I paddle back in. My eyes searching for him, a huge grin on his face as I go running towards him. He picks me up spinning me around "Are you freaking kidding me longboard! Just casually out there doing floaters and alley-oops! I'm fucking amazed by you." He marveles kissing me senseless. Everyone crowds around us congratulating me as we wait for the scores. "A spectacular set for Kai Anoki. With two perfect scores she will be taking home the win today, helping lead Team Victoria to first overall going into finals." One of the commentators announces "I've got to say Molly, Team Victoria has a strong group. With Baxter Radic taking the win for the boys and Kai Anoki for the girls. I think we can expect to see a powerhouse from them on finals." the other commentator says. "I agree Finn. I think we're seeing a different Radic this year. I'm excited to see what he has in store for us at finals." The commentator named Molly says.

Later that night everyone gets together at the Gibson's house for a celebratory dinner. We spend the evening eating and recapping the events of the day. I've never seen Poppy so relaxed around finals, it was nice to see. The adults go inside leaving the rest of us to enjoy the firepit together. "I can't believe finals is right around the corner" Bodhi says as a few of us nod our heads in agreement. "I think this is the first time I have ever not felt nervous." Poppy tells us as we all acted shocked. "Oy knock it off!" She shouts at all of us as we bust out laughing. "Seriously though. This is the first year were I feel solid in our team. Were all just vibing like a real team." She clarifies. "We are a real team Pops" Bax teases her. I can feel his laugh as my head rests on his chest, one of his hands playing with my hair. "Smartass!" Poppy spouts off sticking her tongue out at him. "I agree with Poppy. Last year we had a divide....it wasn't this easy. We didn't work as a team. But this year something's different, were all getting along." Summer interjects. "Maybe it's all the team bonding exercises Pops been making us do?" I joke as she sticks her tongue out at me too. "Whatever it is, I'm just happy that we are all here." Ari speaks up as Summer looks at him adoringly. "And there's no drama!" Marlon adds as everyone laughs.

A pair of feet walking up the drive makes all of us turn to see a figure walking towards us. "Who's there?" Ari calls out towards the figure walking closer. "I'm looking for Kai Anoki" the familiar voice says as my whole body tenses. Bax sitting up straighter pulling me into him even more. "Who's asking?" He says to the man. "Her father."