xiii. 𝘈 𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘌𝘳𝘢

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

The domestication of her new life back in New York was something (Y/N) wasn't sure she quite enjoyed yet. It was great being back at home after so long but she felt it wasn't right to be back to normal after such tragedies shook the world. Now, instead of waking up in the early hours of the morning, her alarm clock rang at a respectable hour so she could get ready for work.

(Y/N) grabbed a simple white blouse with a V-neckline and a dark green skirt to match with it. She stared at the mirror as she got herself ready and did her best to hide the scar that went up her thigh with her long skirt and her stockings. Every part of her routine was in a comfortable silence since she had nobody to talk to, the radio playing for just some background noise.

When they got back from London, (Y/N)'s old apartment had already been sold to someone else, and it was a complicated process to find another place to sleep in the crowded city of New York. Peggy had offered for her to stay with her and be roommates but (Y/N) declined the offer with the excuse that she didn't want to be a bother and rearrange everything in Peggy's life. In the end, (Y/N) wasn't sure how she stroke a reasonable deal with a landlord and was able to afford a simple apartment with enough space and at a fair distance from her job.

It was lonely, of course, but (Y/N) preferred the silence and her own company over the loud explosions and sounds of gunshots back during the war. There were moments where she found herself back in those woods or the debris-covered abandoned villages. There was even a time when she thought she heard someone laugh across the street with laughter that resembled either Steve or Bucky.

(Y/N) snapped away from her daze and sat back in her table with just one chair, grabbing the newspaper that someone had left on her doorstep. She fixed her coffee with one hand while the other opened the newspaper with the headline: Stark fails to convince, third day of testimony expected. Under it, a picture of Howard was placed with a similar headline attached to it, Captain America ally yet to explain weapons sale. She couldn't help but frown at the words and she hoped that today at work she would receive an explanation.

After finishing breakfast, (Y/N) did the rest of her mundane routine and before she knew it, it was time to leave her home. She went down the staircase ( because the elevator was out of service again ) and walked down 10 floors before reaching the lobby. People were already crowding the streets outside the building and it was still early on the day. (Y/N) did her best to push through the crowds as she mapped her own walk to her workplace, since catching a cab would be too difficult and would probably take more time.

(Y/N) rounded a street's corner and was forced to stop when cars flooded ahead of her on the road. She sighed impatiently, waiting for the sign to turn red again so she could pass.