iii. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘌𝘹𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

[ 1943 ]

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘ » ☆ « ⋙

(Y/N) wanted nothing more than the earth to swallow her whole and never see the light of day again. The constant stares she got as she innocently strolled through the crowded streets of New York were something that she'd never going to get used to, and neither does she want to. She pretended to not notice them and keep her head high up front as her shoes clicked on the concrete floor. Even though she had her friend Bucky by her side to glare off whomever laid eyes on her, she still couldn't shake them all off. It astounded her to see how men only shared a certain amount of decency when another man came into the picture instead of just backing off when a woman asks them to.

"One of these days I'll throw a punch, doll, and you won't be able to hold me back," Bucky said with his eyes still glaring onto a man walking by before he got out of his sight, his voice easily drowned by the honking noises in the street.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes at his words and smacked his arm due to the nickname. "And I'll be there to bail you out of jail when you do so."

"Who says I'll be caught?" Bucky added in his usual playful manner, despite the other heavy topics hovering over them.

(Y/N) did her best to distract herself from those negative thoughts and tried to enjoy one of the  rare moments of the year when she was allowed a break from her 'secret job'. After completing the training and basic tasks two years ago when she fist got the offer, (Y/N) was forced to completely quit her other two jobs and focus all of her time on the mission in hand, which limited her time with her friends. And the worst part of all, is that she couldn't tell them the entire truth about her job. Which made it even harder for her to manage her entire shift in routine, but she was able to control it over the past years.

So, because of this, whenever (Y/N) was allowed a break from the stressing nature of her job, she took it upon herself to spend as much time as possible with Steve and Bucky.

"Doll? Are you there?" Bucky placed a hand in front of her face to knock her out of her tunnel of thoughts. Because of this, (Y/N) blinked twice and regained her full senses.

(Y/N) was about to respond to him, when she heard a grunt coming from a nearby alley, followed by loud clattering. The sound of a fist being met with skin was audible, especially considering the noise in the city. When (Y/N) looked back at Bucky, they shared a common deadpanned expression. They didn't have to be psychic to know who was in that alley, even so when this was near the place they were meeting up with that certain person.

The look between (Y/N) and Bucky always included a silent question of 'who should intervene this time?', and they seemed to follow a pattern only both of them kept track of. This time, it was Bucky's, so he was the one to take lead inside the alley as the sounds of grunts and thrown punches was growing louder. (Y/N) walked behind him in a normal pace, trying her best to catch up with him and his angry strut.