v. 𝘚𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘌𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵

[ 1943 ]

📍BROOKLYN, NEW YORK⋘ » ☆ « ⋙

📍BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
⋘ » ☆ « ⋙

Breathe, (Y/N). Breathe.

She didn't know how long she had been staring at the window for, but she was sure that anyone else would say it was a long time and declare her as odd. It's not like you could blame her, who wouldn't be nervous for a friend when they're about to be part of an experiment? Part of her rational self reassured her that Doctor Erskine knew what he was doing, and that everything will follow smoothly. She just wished the rest of her body thought that same way.

Peggy was sat beside her in the car, being driven by a cadet to keep an eye on the road. Every now and then the children on the street had to interrupt their games to move to the side and let the car pass, and (Y/N) found herself smiling at them since they reminded her of her childhood.

"I know this neighborhood," Steve spoke up for the first time in the entire ride to the city. He also was a nervous wreck, but he knew how to hide it.

"I got beat up in that alley," he pointed to the one they had just passed by. (Y/N) turned to face him with her lips pressed in a thin line because she had held a cloth against his bruised face each time that happened. ". . .And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

He lowered his head to stare at his hands, since the last location wasn't part of (Y/N)'s knowledge. She kept her eyes on him, trying to find the appropriate words to say, yet nothing came out.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy was the one to respond. At her question, (Y/N) had to hide a snort behind her closed lips.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop," Steve speaks up. "You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?"

"I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face."

"I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army if you were a beautiful dame," Steve instantly realized the bad choice of words and stuttered to correct himself. "Or a — a woman. An agent. Not a dame. You are beautiful, but — "

(Y/N) was finding this conversation quite amusing, and she made the mental note to tell all about it to Bucky in one of her future letters. She was sure he'd have a loud laugh.

Peggy's eyes set on (Y/N). "Is he always like this?"

"That's part of his charm."

The brunette hummed in reply before facing Steve again. "You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?"

"Aside from (Y/N), I think this is the longest conversation I've had with one," Steve replied with a smile threatening to come out. (Y/N) furrowed her eyebrows together at that sentence. "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."