xii. 𝘞𝘢𝘳 𝘪𝘴 𝘖𝘷𝘦𝘳

[ 1945 ]

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

(Y/N) wasn't sure how she made it back to the base in London. Part of her was convinced that something else possessed her the whole trip back, because she has no recollection of anything from the last couple of days. That, or the fact that her mind didn't want to register the specific event. Either way, a shell of her sat in an abandoned chair in a silent part of the base, where no one could disturb her or say something that did the opposite of reassuring her, even Colonel Phillips saw her sat on the chair and instructed every passing agent not to disturb her.

She was too busy staring down at her nails in silence that she didn't hear the sound of footsteps approaching her bubble. It wasn't until a clear of a throat made her look up that she saw who those shoes belonged to, and it was none other than Howard himself in all his smug glory.

"Don't mean to intrude," he began.

"You don't?" she raised her eyebrows at him. "I'm not in the mood for your remarks, Stark. So, please, leave me alone."

"I didn't come here to poke your buttons, although I enjoy that quite a lot — "

"Is there a meaning to why you're here?"

Howard paused his words and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I came to see how you're doing?"

"I'm doing just fine, thank you," (Y/N) couldn't help but sneer.

"Dewitt," Howard said in a much serious tone, unlike to the one she was used to hearing of him. He grabbed a spare chair and dragged it so he could sit right next to her. "I just wanted to see if you wanted to talk about it with someone."

"What makes you think that talking about it would bring me some sort of comfort?"

"I thought that — "

"The only thing that would bring me comfort is seeing him again," she whispered in a harsh tone. "Seeing them again."

Howard pressed his lips in a thin line, not knowing what to respond. (Y/N) turned her face to look at him and immediately regretted her harsh words, jumping in to apologize after seeing his downward eyes.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, blinking to avoid the tears from falling. "I'm so sorry. It's just. . . I don't know how to deal with this."

She placed her hands on her eyes to hide the tears. "People describe it as a heartbreak, but it feels like every part of my body is broken too."