vii. 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘉𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘧𝘴

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘ » ☆ « ⋙

"Any word from him at all?"

Peggy shook her head, her red lips pressing into a thin line as she did so. Her brown curls bounced up and down with her head movements, and her eyes were worriedly staring at the woman in front of her.

"Why don't you sit?" Peggy suggested with a soft tone, one she didn't use at work. "You look ill."

"How long has it been?"

"After the last time you asked? Two minutes to be exact."

(Y/N) gave her a look. "Since he left."

"I — "

"Agents," a male soldier came into the tent, holding a set of pictures in his hand from the surveillance flights.

Peggy took them from his hands and nodded at him in farewell. She gave (Y/N) a look, as if to say that she was apologetic and gestured for her to follow her. They both silently headed to Colonel Phillips tent, since they had to show him the new reports that came into camp.

" — As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers killed in action. Period."

(Y/N) tried not to show how the words made her heart stop or that knot in her stomach to tighten, but Peggy seemed to notice. She took a step forward into the tent and handed the pictures to the Colonel.

"The last surveillance flight is back," she reported. "No sign of activity."

"Go get a cup of coffee, Corporal."

The Corporal typing on the writing machine stood up and left the tent alone with the two agents and Colonel. The air was tense, and (Y/N) was already bracing herself for harsh news.

"I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor," he turned around to stare at both women with an angry glare. "You both are neither one."

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions," Peggy spoke up with a raised head.

(Y/N) stood firm on her ground. "And I'm sure Captain Rogers doesn't regret his either."

It felt odd to her to refer to Steve in such formal manner, but for professional purposes, she had to pretend as if the thought of him being killed in action didn't affect her as much as it truly did.

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions?" he snapped at her words.  "I took a chance on you, Agent Dewitt. And you too, Agent Carter, for heaven's sake. And now America's golden boy and a lot of other good men are dead 'cause you care about the guy."