i. 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘙𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨

[1941]

📍BROOKLYN, NEW YORK ⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

📍BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

The smell of cigarette smoke and the blaring noises of cars honking over the crowded streets of New York could get overwhelming for some people, but for (Y/N), who'd been living in the city for her entire life, she already knew how to handle it. A coat was wrapped around her figure due to the cold December weather, so she had to speed her walk over to her destination as fast as she could before the frostbite got her completely.

Fortunately, she made it to the door of her destination, opening it rapidly to get away from the cold and faintly hearing the little bell ring when she did so. The warmth of the office swallowed the cold sticking to (Y/N)'s skin, and so she relaxed enough to shrug off her coat and hang it along with the others by the door.

"Dewitt, you're late," a man, or mostly known as her boss Mr. Sanderson, called out for her.

The other women in the office, who were busy covering the phones and answering whenever one rang through the room, flickered their gazes to her. This was majorly a surprise and a first to all, since (Y/N) was commonly known for being early to her job. But could you blame her? Last night had been stressful enough to worry about waking up early for work.

(Y/N) cleared her throat and flashed an apologetic look at the man. "Sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

"It better not," Mr. Sanderson reclaimed with his strict tone of voice. He raised a hand and gestured for her to come forward. "I need to have a work with you in my office, please."

At this point, the other women had forgotten about answering the phones and whispered conspiracies amongst themselves. (Y/N) pretended she didn't notice their eyes fall on her, and even if her insides were drowning in shame, she kept her head high. She followed after Mr. Sanderson toward his office, which was at the back of the room. Once they made it to the door, Mr. Sanderson allowed her to step inside first after opening the door and following behind her.

(Y/N) already feared the worst. Could the man fire her on the spot for being late just one day? Would he allow her to plead her case before he makes the final decision? She had thousands of thoughts swarming through her head, thinking of how this was going to affect her. (Y/N) had not-so-perfectly managed to balance two jobs, one here and the other as a waitress in a small diner, so she felt her throat go dry at the thought of losing that stability.

"Miss Dewitt," Mr. Sanderson spoke again, not bothering to take a seat by his desk. "You have been an exceptional member of this business since the moment you joined. . ."

(Y/N) was already bracing herself for the upcoming 'but' in his sentence.

"So, I had to pretend to be surprised when I received this letter earlier today," Mr. Sanderson grabbed a letter that was sitting on the top of his desk. He twirled it around in his hands before stretching his hand to give it to her.