Book 6 | Ch. 19 - Goodbye Innocent Flower

<Ace>

I couldn't understand what she was doing here.

Why aren't you with Jessica?

Where did that smile you had go?

Why is it that you look at me like that?

I had many questions aside those..

But the one I brought up was different.

"I'm ok, why are you here?" I kept a false smile pasted on me, her hands shook.

"Ace.. did you know that when you tend to hide things you have this exact smile, right here." Her fingers pressed on my lips.

Her fingers are--!?

I couldn't move.. I didn't want to surprise her but it seems she was the one who kept stunning me.

Her hand lowered grazing my neck down to my chest, her palm laid open feeling the center.

"The fact that you aren't talking is speaking thousands." Her eyes frowned.

"I'm ok?" Veronica mimicked the words I said.

"And that's the first thing you'd say to someone? Ace~.. what's wrong?" She looked at me in the eyes, I was certain she could see my heart beating with how intense she was pressuring me.

She read me like a book. Perhaps.. I was wrong to assume she'd let me escape the bar without pursuing me. I kept my eyes away from her for the first time from my recollection in a long time.

I just feel.. Ashamed. Ashamed.. about what I've done in the past, what I did to hide it. I'm weak and I can't keep this charade on forever.. I know that. I've been given one too many chances in life, I'm thankful for that and yet..

What do I do with that now~?!

I can't get a proper job any longer.. I can no longer take on good paying quests.. I've hit the end of the road.

"I just don't want to drag you down with me~." I unknowingly mouthed out.

Her eyes widened, I could feel her palm turn into a grasp, her other hand shot up with her palm exposed.

....

Go ahead..

Hit me.

"Do it." I faced away, my cheek exposed for a proper clean strike.

Her grasp softened, her hand lowered gently tapping my chest repeatedly.

"Idiot.. idiot~." She hugged me, all I could do was stand with the burdens weighing on me.

"..." I stayed silent.

Despite this moment happening, I couldn't lay a hand on her.

I couldn't reassure her things would be alright, that I would bounce back from this because.. I was truly lost and I was adamant on not having her follow after me.

An eerie silence took over, cicadas stopped chirping, the heat felt cold. The darkness was the only thing present.

Until we heard something fall in the distance, it was light and soft.

Veronica's eyes were filled with shock.

I looked over at the end of the alleyway finding Caroline standing there, her expression looked hurt almost.

Veronica let go of me and yelled for Caroline.

She had already turned away leaving behind what she'd dropped.

She shouted, her tone changed completely. "Go after her!"

"W-why?" I asked, she flinched at the thought.