Sing your own special song

Rishabh kept pestering Ishan for the rest of the series.

"Did you talk to Shubi?" "Did you talk to Shubi?" "I told you I've already spoken to him, will you just go and talk?"

"What if you misunderstood him?" asked Ishan.

"ISHAN. YOU. NEED. GLASSES."

"Why?" Shreyas, who had overheard, asked. "Can you not see the blackboard-or, um, the ball?"

"Neither," said Rishabh. "He needs a special kind of glasses that helps you see-"

"Shut up!" Ishan pulled him away from Shreyas.

"My patience is running out," said Rishabh, sighing. "Seriously. You both are so tiresome. I'm bad at keeping secrets, I'm bad at romance counselling, I'm bad at being a third wheel, and yet I'm being forced to do all three. The only thing I am good at is pestering, and you are so stubborn, even that isn't working."

"Why are you not pestering him?" Ishan demanded.

"Because he's our junior! It's our duty to guide juniors!"

"Right. Right, that's very creepy." Ishan glared at Rishabh. "Will you leave me alone? I'll talk to him when, er, the time is right."

"Yeah, when you're forty!"

Shubman came by, asking avidly, "What about when he's forty?"

Ishan flushed.

Rishabh rolled his eyes heavenward.

***

The series against Bangladesh drew to an end, with India winning the final ODI at the Feroz Shah Kotla.

Ishan hadn't managed to talk to Shubman yet. Talk properly about what they needed to talk about.

It was just...he knew Shubman could not possibly say no, and yet...

What if he did?

Plenty of time to bring up the topic later.

Shahneel di was in Delhi for some work, so Shubman was staying back as the rest of the team was flying for their hometowns. He went with them to the airport on the team bus, anyway.

Ishan sat next to Shubman. His eyes were constantly conscious of Shubman's hand, because he craved to take it in his so badly. But the risk, the risk of their teammates all around...they couldn't do anything, even hold hands, unless they were in a strictly private zone...

Unless you have the conversation with him and you two can let the team know you're together, a voice like Rishabh's suggested sarcastically inside his head.

Well, it was too late now. He'd do it during the next series which started in two weeks.

Two weeks.

Oh, god.

***

Once they got through the security checking into the airport, they turned back to wave at Shubman, who was waving back with energy.

As Ishan turned away, he felt happy that the last image of Shubman he was carrying to Patna was him grinning so widely.

You're going to see him in two weeks, stop being so overly dramatic.

He turned back to the glass gates again. Shubman was still standing and smiling. This time Ishan was the only one waving, so Shubman gave him a wink. 

His wink was killing.