Absences

PRESENT

The legendary IPL match of Shubman's present and past teams was what finally drove all the anger at Shubman not coming for the road trip and doubt about Shubman's anger about Ishan dissing his colony out of Ishan's mind.

Most of the MI team had just woken up after a late afternoon nap after a long practice session and a late lunch. Ishan and Aditi had walked down for coffee when Surya hailed them, saying, "You won't believe this!"

"Believe what?" They made a rush for the TV that was showing the day match of GT vs KKR.

"KKR needs 22 off the last 4 b-GOOD LORD, HE'S GONE AGAIN!"

Everyone within earshot of the MI players' wild clapping came to witness what was going on.

And it was indeed a thing to witness.

Rinku Singh hit another 6 when they needed 16 off 3.

Another.

10 off 2.

Another.

4 off the last.

Another.

KKR won.

***

Ishan could not understand what he felt when everyone in the TV room was doubled up with laughter, lauding Rinku Singh. The Gujarat Titans players on the screen and the Ahmedabad crowd all looked stunned, like What just happened?

When the camera panned on Shubman, he turned out to be the only one who had the smallest smile on his face as he watched Nitish Rana and Venkatesh Iyer jumping on Rinku. It was a really sad sort of smile, though. Ishan knew what it meant: I wish I was could celebrate with you guys. 

They had never discussed it, but Ishan knew Shubman always missed the KKR camp. Just a little bit harder during IPL. And maybe the hardest when there was joy in the camp, which would bring back his own memories of four years, the first team that had placed their faith in him and brought him into the limelight.

Ishan could only imagine how he would feel if circumstances ever forced him out of MI.

Shubman had his phone in his hand in the screen. Ishan felt in his pocket for his phone.

It was not there. Ishan wanted to bring his phone, but he also did not want to leave the TV. Eventually he decided that bringing the phone was the priority.

***

Shubman didn't pick up the first time but called back immediately.

"Did you fall again?" asked Ishan heavily.

"No, I couldn't hear it above the roars," said Shubman. "Nitish has gone entirely mad."

He said it lightly enough.

"How are you, Shubi?" asked Ishan.

"Lousy," said Shubman. "You needed one month to call!"

"You didn't call either!" said Ishan.

"I didn't walk out on you in the first place," said Shubman promptly. "It was your responsibility to call."

"Whatever," said Ishan. "And I did call, so..."

"AFTER ONE MONTH."

"IT IS NOT JUST MY FAULT-"

"Want to go on a road trip of Ahmedabad on the 25th?" Shubman had clearly also memorized the date for MI vs GT. "I'll sponsor it because I cancelled the previous one."

Ishan grinned. "Only if MI wins."

"Oh, then we might as well scrap the idea," said Shubman casually.

"You-" Ishan called Shubman a few of his choicest slangs.

"You've got ruder in my absence," said Shubman.

"You've got a hangdog again in my absence."

"Why did you impose our absences on each other, then?" said Shubman smartly.

"It wasn't just my fault!"

"Do you want to rewatch F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Season 5?" asked Shubman.

"Did you also rewatch the 4th season in the past month out of grief?" asked Ishan.

Shubman laughed. "That's why I said 5th."

When Aditi came back to their room later, Ishan was mid-laugh in the video call, headphones on.

Aditi said something, shaking her head. He couldn't hear, so he removed the headphones for a split second to ask, "What?"

"I don't know why you two bother to keep up your fights so long when it makes you both miserable," said Aditi.

"Even I don't know," admitted Ishan.