Perfect

The next day, Virat bhaiya came to check on Shubman just after he and Ishan had woken up.

"Good," he said grimly, when he saw them together. "Come down for breakfast. I don't suppose you ate anything last night, Shubi?"

"You told me to go straight to sleep," said Shubman.

"And he definitely did that without any overthinking," said Ishan.

"How old are you, that you will have dinner only when someone explicitly tells you to?" Virat bhaiya chivvied them downstairs into the dining room.

"He's trying to grow up and take decisions on his own," put in Ishan. "Still in the trying part, but I'm sure he'll learn eventually."

Virat gave him a look.

"I see you're joking," he said, grim again. "It's good you two seem to have made up. Otherwise you'd have got a slap that would have taken all your jokes away, Ishan Kishan."

"I already got one," said Ishan, "from Shubi."

"That wasn't a slap!" said Shubman. 

"I have you free reign," said Ishan, benevolently, and slung his arm around Shubman as he frowned.

"Give it back to us," said Rishabh, winking.

Shubman was actually kind of glad to find the annoyingly patronizing look back on Rishabh's face. Since Ishan stopped talking to Shubman, he hadn't given that look once.

This was way better.

Since there weren't any adjacent seats present, "Move over," Ishan told Kuldeep, who was in the midst of biting into toast.

"Why?" said Kuldeep, mouth full.

"So that Shubi and I can sit together."

Rather pleased, Shubman looked up and found Rishabh's familiar know-it-all look again. Only this time, it didn't seem to be directed at Shubman.

Rishabh was looking at Ishan.

***

India won the first T20 against Bangladesh as comfortably as expected from the Number 1 T20 side.

Batting first, Shubman scored in the seventies and got out by the fourteenth over, which meant he'd given everyone hopes for a century. He certainly had given Ishan that hope.

Ishan was so busy ogling at Shubman returning to the dugout that he'd actually forgotten he was supposed to go next. A hard dig in the chest by Shreyas got him jumping to his feet and grabbing his helmet on his way to the pitch.

And from the pitch, between every two balls, he would keep looking at the dugout, just to catch a glimpse of Shubman.

It was distracting. But it was equally hard to resist.

It was potentially a hazard, being in the same workplace with someone you were...attracted to...and...and...in love with.

No wonder relationships inside corporate offices were frowned upon.

***

After the match, while Shubman had gone for a shower, Ishan's head wouldn't stop overworking.

Being in love with his best friend for years without realizing was not the ideal thing to do. The suddenness with which the realization had come, hitting him full on the face, was even less ideal.

It made him feel possessed with the need to do something about it.

If what he'd had with Shubman over so many years was love, surely what Shubman had for him was love, too? The more-than-best-friends kind of love?