The pre New Year party

PRESENT

30th December, 2022, Delhi

"YOU GOTTA MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC...SING YOUR OWN SPECIAL SONG...MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC, EVEN IF NOBODY ELSE SINGS ALONG..."

"Pause!" shouted Rishabh, one of the few sober ones amongst a tipsy bunch. "I'll be off, guys, see you next week."

"Do you have to go in the dead of night, Rishabh?" Shahneel asked.

"It's only nine, Di," Shubman said.

"But it's a long drive," said Shahneel.

"Yeah, I want to turn up at the break of dawn," said Rishabh. "Mom and Dad and Di will not expect me at all..."

"Okay, then..."

"See you next week!" chorused Shubman, Ishan, Shreyas and Kuldeep. 

"And if you have to get to the airport in time, you two should also go," Rishabh told Shreyas and Kuldeep. "Yours is later, right, Ishan?"

"I think so." Ishan looked at Aditi, who was tolerably sober as well.

"A couple of hours later, yes," said Aditi.

Rishabh gave Shubman a hug and a punch on his shin. "Congrats for the recovery and happy new year in advance. Bye!"

Everyone saw him off. Soon after Kuldeep and Shreyas were forced to move themselves and book a cab to the airport. Shahneel, the host of the small surprise party she'd thrown at their place in Delhi to celebrate her brother's full recovery from his recurring shin fracture, made sure they got on safely...they weren't awfully sober at that point.

"You're gonna be nowhere...The loneliest kind of lonely..."

"Will you two let any other song play?" she demanded to Shubman and Ishan when she returned.

"No," said Shubman.

"It may be rough going..." Ishan sang, oblivious.

"Just to do your thing is the hardest thing to do..."

They sang it on loop till Aditi said, an hour later, "We should be leaving."

"In a bit..." Ishan was pouring a last round of drinks at the kitchen slab.

"You stay back with me, Ishan," said Shubman, laughing.

Ishan flopped back down beside Shubman and draped an arm around him. "Okay."

Aditi flashed her watch into their faces. "And now we actually will miss the flight."

"I'll cancel it." Ishan made a grab for his phone.

"Seriously," said Aditi, taking it before he could reach it. "This is why I tell you not to drink so much. Come on, get up, Ishu. You two will see each other again in a week."

"For what?" asked Shubman.

"For your comeback series, Shubi," said Aditi patiently. "You know, the one which Shahneel Di threw the party for."

Shahneel, who had gone upstairs, returned. "Aren't you both leaving?"

"Di," cried Shubman, tightening his arm around Ishan's waist. "As the host, tell me, can't Ishan and Aditi stay back today in the guest room?"

"Sure," said Shahneel, surprised. "If they want to, why not?"

"Done." Ishan winked at Shubman and looked up at Aditi pleadingly. "Cancel the flights or give me the phone, please, baby."