Test cap

PRESENT

Ishan got his Test debut versus West Indies in July.

Shubman was happy with the whole world except that Virat Kohli presented Ishan his Test cap.

"It's not fair," he hissed. "I deserved it from Virat bhaiya."

"And I don't?" asked Ishan.

"Not since I didn't get it," said Shubman. "I wanted my Test cap from Virat bhaiya, I wanted my Test cap from Virat bhaiya-"

"IS THAT SO?"

Virat came up behind and pulled off Shubman's cap and placed it atop his head again in slow motion.

"There you have it, Shubi," teased Virat.

Shubman laughed with everyone around, though his face was all red.

"You really need to learn a bit of subtlety," Ishan told him before they went down to field.

***

Ishan's was an unremarkable debut. India was in the position of declaration when Ishan went down to bat. Rohit bhaiya called, "Get your first run quick, then I'll declare."

What?

Of course, if Rohit bhaiya hadn't said it, Ishan would probably have got the first run easily. Now that he had become conscious, he needed 20 balls to do it. The dugout was merciless when he returned with Jaddu bhai after the declaration.

"Twenty balls! Who needs twenty balls!"

"You should have got the cap from Sunny bhai!"

"Rohit bhaiya made me nervous," Ishan tried to protest.

"Nervous about one run?"

"So nervous that you needed 20 balls? Wow, Rohit, you big bully, you're talented!"

"Congrats, Ishu," Shubman said, giving him a bear hug. "Now not just you and me, no one else will forget your first runs in Test cricket."

After that Ishan kind of forgot to pay much heed to all the teasing. 

Not just you and me. Shubman would have remembered his first runs regardless. Just like he remembered all of Shubman's.

Ishan hugged his best friend back very tight.

Surely everyone could not have a best friend like Shubman?

Ishan wondered how they survived without.

He wouldn't.

***

On the field for the second innings, bolstered with India's huge lead and Ishan's debut run, Shubman was over excited constantly.

The match was not very interesting. The sweltering weather made it worse. The slip cordon led by Virat bhaiya complained about the heat constantly.

"We Indians don't have the face to complain about the heat," Ash bhai said sternly. "Especially ones from Delhi."

"Oops," drawled Jaddu bhai.

Virat bhaiya toned down his complains. Shubman of course had to jump to his Virat bhaiya's defense.

"It's never so unpleasant in Delhi." Shubman turned to Ishan and winked. "D'you want to remove my jersey and lick the sweat?"

"Are you mad or what?" Ishan said once he had got over the shock.

Shubman took Virat bhaiya's snigger as encouragement and laughed. Ishan cast a doubtful glance at the stump mic and hoped Shubman's voice hadn't carried.

But of course it had. Soon enough it was all over the internet. Shubman and most of their team found it hilarious. Ash bhaiya issued omens about how kids watched the game and they had to keep an eye on the stump mic and in fact would they really want their parents to overhear that dialogue?

"I didn't do anything," Ishan said indignantly.

"Except not giving Shubi the slap he deserves," whispered Jaddu bhai loudly.

"My parents don't follow the news much," said Shubman airily. "Yours do, Ishan."

"If I get into trouble for this-" Ishan decided to take Jaddu bhai's advice and thwack Shubman on the cheek.

"Ouch!" Shubman touched his cheek and backed away till he was behind Virat bhaiya. "You didn't get into trouble yet!"

"This was for you to remember before doing this next time," said Ishan grimly.

Jaddu bhai gave Ishan a proud slap on the back.

***

The scandal didn't reach Ishan's parents, which he was grateful for. However Aditi shared the same views as Ash bhai and the conversation with her also felt rather like getting into trouble for Ishan.

"I hope you aren't actually in the habit of doing that," said Aditi finally, wryly.

Ishan felt his whole face burn.

Just the idea was ridiculous. How did Shubman even come up with ridiculous things like that? Trust him to convert his Test debut into a scandal.

"Obviously I am not, Adi."

"Why does your face suggest otherwise?" said Aditi teasingly.

Ishan honestly didn't know.