Chapter 44: Family Reunion

*Algunas cosas nunca cambian-> Some things never change
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a long drive from the airport to Veronica's old house. A long and silent drive.

She had let me listen to the few songs her band has recorded. Sinse we left the airport, the only hearable thing in the rented car was Veronica's voice coming from the speakers accompanied by instruments.

I could feel the tension erupting from her aura filling the car. Truth was, she was nervous and even the classical music playing now wasn't enough to calm her down.

I decided to let her be and stayed silent while she mentally prepared herself for what was about to happen. Words weren't needed and even though she said nothing, I felt like she needed some comfort. So I slowly moved my hand towards hers and she caught my hand before I had fully extended it. She quickly intertwined our fingers and didn't let go for the rest of the drive.

Even though she said nothing, her thoughts had everything.

After a while, we stopped at a nice white and blue house with people coming in and out. Veronica went two houses down before stopping and parking. When she turned the car off, she turned to me and spoke.

"Are you ready?" She asked. It's incredible. After everything that's going on in her mind, she still lays me as a priority.

"Whenever you are, gorgeous." I spoke on a relaxed tone. Hopefully, a relaxed and contagious tone. She took a deep breath and smiled her 250 kilowatt smile directly at the nothing before letting go of my hand and getting out of the car.

I followed her without hesitation and quickly caught up with her on the sidewalk. She took my hand and laid it on her bended forearm as if she were guiding me. On any other circumstances, I would have been the one holding her but I understood the message she wanted to project to her family. Please, welcome this poor outsider without thinking there's any other thing than a strong friendship between us.

We were at the door in no time. Veronica turned the door nob and hesitated on pushing the door but, when she did, it took a second for my eyes to adjust to the scenario before us. We stepped inside the house where there were people scattered everywhere. I could see a group of people on the living room, another small group coming out of the kitchen and another sitting on a table on the farthest end of the house beside the backyard glass sliding door.

To finish the family house cliche, a group of children went running across the house to the backyard. All except one. A girl, not older that ten, noticed us standing there and proceeded to run towards us screaming Veronica's name. She jumped into Veronica's arms as the rest of the people in the house took the time to notice us as well.

"Hey! How long as it been? Have you missed me?" Veronica said between laughs as she hugged the girl. When they pulled apart, Veronica kept holding her up to our eye sight and looked at me. "This is one of my cousin's daughters." She explained. "Ian, may I introduce you to..." She started saying before looking questionably at the girl. "...which one are you again?" She knew perfectly who the girl was, but she asked anyway to make the girl laugh. Wait. Which one? How many are there?!

Another girl exactly like the first one came running to answer my questions. Just like the first one, she jumped into Veronica's waiting arms.

"Now that's more like it." Veronica said balancing the two girls on each arm. "Girls, this is Ian. Ian, these are Sophie and Maddy." She introduced. The girls waved shyly at me as their name was being called and I waved back.

By now, there was a small group of people around us to confirm it was really Veronica and to make sure Sophie and Maddy weren't lying. Veronica was greeting everyone with a hug and introducing me right after. The commotion came to an abrupt stop as a woman appeared from between the group and stood in the middle. veronica's smile quickly vanished and she changed her posture. She straighten her back to appear taller and gave a single nod to the woman in front of her as she spoke.