Ch. 20

Aurelia was walking through Zombie Town with Eliza when they heard them.

"They're back." Eliza shivered.

Aurelia sighed, as Zed and Bonzo joined them.

"They must really want that stone." Zed observed, his eyes landing on the group of oncoming werewolves.

"Miss us white hair?" Willa asked, stepping forward.

"How many times do I have to tell you-"

"That you're under an enchantment that hides your true appearance?" The werewolf girl cut her off.

Aurelia paled.

"Seems I've struck a cord," She mused, "So what are you hiding from white hair?"

Shaking herself out of her stupor, Aurelia raised her chin defiantly.

"I have nothing to hide," She lied through her teeth, "and I still don't know where the stone you want is."

"You really think she's the Great Alpha?" The female wolf with caramel hair from last time asked her.

"I don't think, Wynter," Willa stated, "I know."

Aurelia felt her heart rate increase as Willa's eyes bore into hers, searching for any signs of deception. She held her ground, trying not to let the werewolf see the fear and uncertainty swirling inside her.

Eliza subtly moved closer to Aurelia, her posture tense and ready to act if needed. Zed and Bonzo stood their ground as well, their eyes never leaving the group of werewolves.

Aurelia maintained her composure, though her mind raced with thoughts of what to do next. The tension in the air was palpable, as everyone awaited the next move.

Wynter, seemingly unsatisfied with Willa's response, took a step closer, her eyes narrowing. "If she really is the Great Alpha, then she would have the power to find the Moonstone."

Confusion covered Aurelia's face.

"It's a sacred relic, and we need it back." Aurelia met Willa's gaze, her own eyes steely.

"And I've already told you, I don't know where it is. If I did, I wouldn't keep it from you."

The air seemed to crackle with intensity as the two locked eyes, neither willing to back down. Eliza shot Aurelia a worried glance, but Aurelia subtly shook her head, signaling her to stay calm.

"You can pretend to be someone you're not all you want, we know the truth." The male wolf from last time said, stepping forward.

The male wolf's gaze was piercing, as if he was trying to unravel Aurelia's very being with just a look. Aurelia, however, stood her ground, her face a mask of defiance.

"I'm not pretending to be anything," Aurelia retorted, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her. "And I've told you everything I know. Whether you choose to believe me or not is your problem."

Willa's eyes flashed with anger, and for a moment, Aurelia thought she might attack. But instead, she took a deep breath and seemed to calm herself.

"Fine," Willa said, her voice cold. With that, Willa turned on her heel and signaled for the rest of her pack to leave. They retreated into the shadows, leaving Aurelia and her friends standing in stunned silence.

"That was... intense," Eliza finally said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah," Zed agreed, his eyes still on the spot where the werewolves had disappeared. "Are you okay, Ari?"

Aurelia nodded, though she felt anything but okay. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired of all this werewolf drama."

"Well, we've got your back, no matter what," Zed said, his voice serious.

Aurelia smiled at her friends, grateful for their support. "Thanks, guys. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"And you'll never have to know," Eliza chimed in, giving Aurelia a reassuring smile. "We're in this together, no matter how many werewolves or problems come our way."

Aurelia felt a warmth spread through her, grateful for the bond she shared with her friends. She knew that, with them by her side, she could face anything that came her way.

As they continued walking through Zombie Town, the atmosphere lightened and they began to chat about more mundane things, trying to shake off the tension from the encounter. Yet, in the back of her mind, Aurelia couldn't help but dwell on the werewolves' accusations and the mysterious Moonstone they were searching for.

She had never heard of the Moonstone before, and she wondered why the werewolves were so convinced that she had the power to find it. The mention of the Great Alpha also lingered in her thoughts, and she couldn't shake the feeling that there was something important she was missing.

"Hey, Ari," Zed's voice broke through her thoughts, "You've been quiet. Are you sure everything is alright?"

Aurelia forced a smile, not wanting to worry her friends. "Yeah, just lost in thought. This whole situation is just... a lot, you know?"

Eliza nodded sympathetically. "It is. But we'll figure it out like we always do."

Aurelia appreciated her friends' optimism, but she couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in her chest. She knew that the encounter with the werewolves was far from over, and that she needed to be ready for whatever came next.

For now, though, she decided to focus on the present, on the laughter and camaraderie of her friends. Whatever challenges lay ahead, she knew she wouldn't have to face them alone. And with that thought in mind, she felt a renewed sense of determination and strength.

"Right," Aurelia said, a determined glint in her eyes, "Let's not let them ruin our day. We have better things to do."

Her friends smiled in agreement, and together, they continued on their way, ready to face whatever came their way with bravery and unity.