Ch. 7

"Did you say zombies?" Mal asked with a mixture of surprise and curiosity, her voice carrying a hint of incredulity, as she and Aurelia wandered through the enchanting garden of roses. The vibrant petals seemed to pale in comparison to the newfound intrigue in her violet eyes.

Aurelia's reply was brimming with excitement, her words dancing in the air. "Yes," she exclaimed, her voice tinged with the kind of enthusiasm that bubbles up when one discovers a treasure. "You would love them, Mal, especially Eliza."

Mal's eyebrow arched, her intrigue now fully engaged. The garden's beauty momentarily forgotten as she leaned in, eager for more. "Tell me more."

Aurelia, with her face lit up like the sun, launched into a vivid narrative of her life in Seabrook. She painted a portrait of her friendship with Eliza, Zed, and Bonzo, and wove a tapestry of the town's unique culture. She described the zombies' unwavering resilience, their fervor for football, and the unbreakable bonds of friendship that held them together.

Mal listened with rapt attention, her heart and soul connecting with the story unfolding before her. The excitement in Aurelia's voice was contagious, and Mal's violet eyes reflected a heady blend of interest and intrigue. "Sounds like you've found something special in Seabrook," she remarked, her voice soft, filled with a genuine affection.

Aurelia nodded, her smile radiant, and her words carried the weight of gratitude. "It's been an incredible experience. I've learned so much, and the zombies have become like a second family to me."

Mal's expression softened even more, and she placed a hand on her sister-in-law's shoulder, a silent gesture of understanding and support. "I'm glad you've found happiness there, Lia."

As Mal and Aurelia strolled further through the rose garden, they continued to share stories and laughter, their connection deepening. The garden, once just a backdrop, now seemed to mirror the blossoming connection between them.

However, a sudden rustling in the nearby bushes jolted them from their reverie, the beauty of the garden momentarily forgotten. Both women turned their heads, their curiosity giving way to a touch of concern.

Aurelia whispered, "Did you hear that?"

Mal nodded, her hand subtly moving to the concealed weapon at her side, a silent signal that she was prepared for whatever might emerge. She replied in a hushed tone, "Yes, and I don't think it's the wind."

The two of them cautiously approached the source of the noise, their senses on high alert, ready for whatever might appear.

Moments later, their expressions shifted from curiosity to surprise when Mal turned to see her friend, Jay, stepping out from the foliage. His presence was unexpected, and it took a moment for the surprise to register.

Mal turned shocked to see her friend, "Jay, what are you doing here?"

Jay smirked. "Sorry Mal, I heard Ari was home."

Mal's violet eyes rolled, a fond exasperation in her voice. "When will you stop calling her that silly nickname?"

Jay merely shrugged, a playful grin on his face. "It fits her."

Aurelia's voice was quiet, almost a whisper, as she expressed her discomfort. "I think I'm going to go back to my room."

But Jay refused to let her retreat, his grip on her hand firm, yet gentle. Aurelia tugged her hand away, making her intentions clear.

"I said, I'm going to my room."

Mal and Jay watched as Aurelia disappeared from view, her departure leaving an uncomfortable silence in its wake.

Jay sighed, his playful demeanor replaced by regret. "She's never going to forgive me, is she?"

Mal shook her head, her voice heavy with the wisdom of experience. "She'll forgive you, but she won't forget."

A deep sigh escaped Jay's lips, his shoulders slumping as he realized the weight of his actions. "I lost her, didn't I?"