Ch. 14

Aurelia's heart pounded in her chest as the girl from the woods pointed directly at her. The stadium fell into an eerie silence, broken only by the girl's chilling presence.

Zed, standing on the football field, turned to look at Aurelia, his expression a mixture of confusion and concern.

Aurelia exchanged a quick, worried glance with Eliza and Bonzo, who were huddled together on the bleachers. They too were caught in a state of shock, their eyes fixed on the girl who had emerged from the woods.

"Where's the stone White hair!" The girl from the woods shouted.

Aurelia felt the eyes of the entire stadium on her as the girl from the woods shouted her demand. Her heart raced, and her mind spun, trying to comprehend what was happening.

The football team cleared the field, Zed heading straight for Aurelia.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," Aurelia stammered, her voice barely audible in the tense silence that enveloped the stadium.

"The stone, White hair! Don't play dumb with me!" The girl's eyes flashed with anger, and her tone was sharp and commanding.

Aurelia's mind raced. What stone was she talking about?

Zed took a step forward, positioning himself protectively in front of Aurelia. "Who are you, and what do you want?" he demanded, his voice steady despite the tension in the air.

The girl's gaze shifted to Zed, and she tilted her head slightly, as if sizing him up. "It doesnt matter who I am. Were here for the stone and we aren't leaving without it.

Aurelia's mind was a whirlwind of confusion. She had no stone, at least not one that she was aware of. She tried to think back, to recall if she had come across anything unusual lately, but nothing came to mind.

Bonzo and Eliza were at her side now, their faces etched with concern. "Ari, do you know what she's talking about?" Eliza whispered.

Aurelia shook her head, her gaze still fixed on the girl. "I-I don't know. I don't have any stone," she replied, her voice shaky.

The girl from the woods seemed to grow even more agitated. "Don't lie to me! We know you have it." Two more wolves strode up beside her.

One was a boy. All his hair was dark, almost black, except for a streak of white. The girl has caramel colored hair with an identical streak of white.

"Ari's hair isn't even white!" Zed retorted, his stance defensive as he stood in front of Aurelia, "And she said she doesn't have any stone. So whatever you're looking for, you're not going to find it here."

The girl from the woods narrowed her eyes, her gaze piercing as she looked past Zed and directly at Aurelia. "This is your last chance. Give us the stone, and we'll leave peacefully. Otherwise, we'll take it by force."

Aurelia felt a surge of fear, but also a spark of anger. She was tired of being threatened, tired of being afraid. She straightened up, meeting the girl's gaze. "I've already told you, I don't have any stone. I don't know what you're talking about."

The girl's expression darkened, and the tension in the air intensified. "Very well. You've made your choice." She turned to the two wolves beside her. "Search her. Find the stone."

Before they could move, Zed stepped forward, his voice laced with anger. "No one is touching her."

The boy wolf snarled, his eyes locked on Zed. "This doesn't concern you, zombie. Step aside."

But Zed stood his ground, his gaze unwavering. "It does concern me when Ari is being threatened. So I'll say it again: No one is touching her."

The crowd in the bleachers watched in stunned silence, the atmosphere charged with tension. Aurelia could feel the eyes of her friends on her, their concern palpable.

"Football team," Zed called out, "Defense, Z24."

Aurelia watched as the entire football team crowded around her, forming a protective shield.

"If you want my girl, your going to go through us."

Aurelia's heart swelled with a mix of emotions. Confusion at his choice of words, pride that he would defend her, gratitude that he cared enough about her to risk himself, admiration for how much of a leader he had become.

But there was also another feeling creeping in. Something she hadn't expected.

As Aurelia processed her emotions, a flicker of doubt danced in her mind. She had always seen Zed as a friend, a reliable ally in their shared struggles. But now, in this intense moment, something was changing. The way Zed had called her "his girl" stirred a new awareness within her, igniting a spark of possibility.

Aurelia's gaze shifted from Zed to the boy wolf, who was sizing up the formidable wall of football players that stood protectively around her. His snarl wavered for a moment, his confidence shaken by the unity displayed before him.

"You're making a big mistake," the boy wolf growled, his voice carrying a hint of uncertainty.

Zed remained resolute, his eyes narrowing with determination. "I don't think so. We stand together, and we protect our own. That's what we do."

The boy wolf hesitated, seemingly torn between his original intent and the unexpected resistance he faced. The crowd watched, holding their breath, waiting to see how the standoff would unfold.

Aurelia's mind raced, torn between her gratitude for Zed's unwavering support and the newfound awareness that had stirred within her.

Taking a deep breath, Aurelia stepped forward, her voice steady yet tinged with vulnerability. "Zed, I can handle this."

Zed's expression softened, his eyes filled with concern. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Aurelia mustered a small smile, appreciating Zed's protectiveness. "I know you mean well, Zed, but I can take care of myself. Trust me."