two. camel piss

Fiona hadn't seen the group for months

Fiona hadn't seen the group for months. After the main camp got attacked, she reckoned hitting the road with her sisters was their best shot. Which it was. So far.

The blonde scanned the area, it was clear, so far. Her legs throbbed from the persistent running. She glanced back at her sisters, checking on their circumstances. Geeks had been following them for hours, and escape seemed like a pipe dream.

"Think we lost 'em?" Mariam gripped the strap of her crossbow firmly, struggling to keep it from strangling her as they ran.

Fiona remained quiet, the weight of her bag pressing heavily on her shoulders as if she carried the weight of the world. Her clothes clung awkwardly to her sweat-drenched skin. She swept a hand across her forehead, brushing off the beads of sweat that trickled down. A soft rumble from her stomach betrayed their hunger, they hadn't eaten in three days.

"Don't let your guard down. They're everywhere." Fiona rasped, heaving her heavy backpack off and tossing it to the ground. She straightened up and cracked her back, stretching her limbs.

Mariam pulled her crossbow from her shoulder and quickly loaded it, "I'll be back, gonna look for some food."

As Mariam departed wordlessly, Fiona settled onto the ground, scratching her head. The heat was brutal, she hated it. It made her skin itch and her clothes stick to her sweat-soaked body. She was starting to outgrow her long-sleeved shirt and jeans, she resisted cutting the sleeves— winter clothing was hard to find nowadays.

"Think we'll find water?" Gia asks, her voice scratchy because they haven't had water.

"There should be a river somewhere. We'll need to wait for Mariam to come back, and then we can go search for it. For now, take some time to rest." Fiona patted her lap prompting Gia to smile and walk over. She rested her head on her sister's lap and fell asleep immediately.

The light breeze whistled a soft song in Fiona's ears as she leaned her head against the tree's bark, gazing up at the canopy that hid the sky. She longed for her old life, a time when survival wasn't a daily battle. After 20 minutes of contemplations, her sister returned, four squirrels draped across her chest, with her crossbow in tow.

"Nice," Fiona said with a smile, admiring Mariam as she began to start the fire for cooking.