38

Authors note

The next few chapters will be one big chapter; i will have to do a few chapters as only allowed so many pictures in a chapter

With no idea what to say, there was an eerie stillness about us. Really, what else could we say?When I turn to look at Charles, I watch him taking everything in until that smile returns to his face. That smile that i had missed so much. He looks into my eyes and whispers, "This feels like déjà vu," causing my breath to catch. After talking on the phone and exchanging texts for a few weeks, I started talking to Charles more frequently. After discussing the possibility of revisiting the locations of past shared experiences, we decided to finally come together in person in the hopes of reviving his memory. We couldn't go back to the area where we first met because it was in the UK, so instead I took him to the spot where he proposed to me. Pictures were another way I intended on trying to jog his memory. "Your mum had offered to watch Thea so that we could go out on a date. We went for a nice meal in town and then we came here for a walk along the beach" I pull out the photo of the beach setting where he proposed and tell him, "You had planned it all out and this is what we walked towards."

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I see him glance at my phone before returning his attention to the spot where he proposed. A grin forms on his face, but just slightly. Neither of us can think of anything to say, so we just sit on the sand and stare at the water.

I swipe to the next picture. 

"This was us after we got back to your mums to pick up Thea

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"This was us after we got back to your mums to pick up Thea... She was the first one we told about the engagement" i tell him, fondly remembering the happiness in Pascale's voice when I showed her my ring. 

He leans in close and murmurs, "I really do want to remember Maddie, I promise I am trying."

"I know you are Charles, I know," I said, looking up from the sand I was playing with to make eye contact with him.He leans in so close that our lips almost touch, but I recoil in panic.