13.

Charles' POV

"My darling Charles! What a pleasant surprise, I didn't expect you to return until after the next race" while smothering me in a hug, my mother squeals. Due to the hectic racing schedule, I hadn't seen my mother in about six weeks."I've had to make some adjustments to my schedule; Arthur and Lorenzo, are they here?" I ask my attention wandering as I scan the room for any trace of my two brothers."Yes, my dear, they're over there in the backyard. Is there a problem, Charles?" She looked at me with concern and asked, "Why are you so nervous?" This is going to be more challenging than I anticipated. What I told Madeleine was true; I would tell my family the truth because I had to own up to what I'd done. I just hated the thought of them, especially my mum being disappointed in me."Mum, can we have a little talk before I go see Arthur and Lorenzo?" I ask because I'd prefer to tell my mum in private than in front of Arthur and Lorenzo.I can read the terror in her eyes as she whimpers, "Oh Charles, you're scaring me now. Is this about the breakup between you and Charlotte?" I can see she is hoping that the situation with Charlotte is the reason for coming home early since she tells me, "I already know, and you know i never wanted you to go into that fake relationship anyway."

"Come sit down, mum" is all I can manage to say, because I'm too terrified to form any further words. We relax on the couch in the living room, and I pull my phone out of my pocket after taking a big breath.

After opening the photo album, I hand my phone to my mum while showing her the image. 

She gives me a puzzled look as she glances at me

"Charles, why are you showing me a picture of a little girl?" She turns her attention from the phone to me and asks. She gives a small cry of surprise, covers her mouth with her palm, and shifts her gaze back and forth between the phone and me. Knowing that she now knows that Thea is my daughter, I glance away, unwilling to look her in the eyes. "Charles, is- Is that your baby Charles?"

I still can't bring myself to look up at her when I say, "Mum, just hear me out okay."

"Do you remember the girl who saved Fred from dying of a heart attack two years ago?" I inquire, gently raising my head, yet avoiding her gaze."We spent the week together in Paris after it. It was the best week of my life; I knew I'd found the one the moment we met. The week after, I had a meeting with Maria, who was filling in for Fred. Because she didn't want any bad publicity for Ferrari if Fred didn't make it, she told me we had to end things. When I said no, she made a threat that if I didn't give up my seat, she would take Arthur's as well, so I cut ties with her." I still can't look my mother in the eyes for fear of seeing her disappointment in me, so I just mutter "I didn't know she was pregnant or that she had the baby until I met her again at Silverstone last week."As her voice trails off in dismay, all I hear is, "You left that poor girl to have your baby on her own Charles?" "I would have never left her if I'd known she was pregnant, Mum. I didnt want leave her, but it was the only way to protect Arthur.  He had just come out of his depression after father passed away; if he lost his seat, it would have broken him, and he wouldn't have gotten another one" I try to explain to her the logic for my actions.As I tell my mother, "I'm so sorry that I've disappointed you, mum; if I'd known she was pregnant, I never would have left her, I promise I wouldn't have mum," I feel tears welling up in my eyes.She leans in and wraps her arms around me. "Shh, my sweetheart, come on. There's no point in regretting the past because it's already happened. Despite my disappointment, Charles, I understand that you were only trying to protect your brother." She says me as she cradles me in her arms and runs her fingers over my hair, "What matters now is how you go forward."We remain silent for a little longer, and then I turn to face my mother. She gives me a gentle grin and pats my cheek with her free hand. "So, tell me everything there is to know about her, I finally have a grandbaby!" Excitedly, she lets out a shriek.I find myself laughing and feeling more at ease.I inform her, while trying to read her expression, "Well, her name is Thea Heidi Pascale and she is here in Monaco waiting to meet her grandmama."There were tears in her eyes as she asked, "Pascale? She has my name as a middle name?" she cried.  I nod, fighting back tears. "Madeleine said she wanted me and my family to be a part of Thea's life even if I couldn't be there, so she gave her your name. She remembered how much I loved you and how much you meant to me. They're at my place, and I can bring them over if you'd like to meet them," I say, unsure whether it's too much to ask so soon.She laughs and smiles, "Why are you still here Charles, go fetch my Grandbaby!" In a quiet voice, she adds, "But before you go, what is the situation between you and, was it madeleine you said?"

"I never wanted to leave her mum. My eyes were opened to the possibility of a completely new future with her. No one else has made me feel that way. I knew from the moment we met that she was the one for me. She is the most considerate and thoughtful person I have ever come across. She is a nurse back home and sobbed almost the entire flight here because she was unable to save a patient  at work yesterday" Before I can stop myself, I exclaim, "She is just so kind hearted and pure mum. I want to get this right, I want to be with her, and I want to be involved in my daughter's life. I know I'll never be able to erase the shame I feel for what I did to her, but I'm determined to give them the lives they deserve" I feel the tears coming again, but Mum just looks at me, wipes them away, and tells me to go get the girls.

When I was almost ready to leave to go and get Madeleine and Thea, I had a sudden flash about Arthur and Lorenzo. "Don't worry darling, I'll go and talk with them now, you just go and get them," she says, planting a gentle kiss on my cheek.With a sigh of relief, I get into the car and drive back to the apartment building to pick up my girls.