14.

Madeleine's POV

On the way to Charles' mother's house, my hands began to sweat and my stomach began to churn so violently that I was afraid I would throw up my lunch.  Charles assured me that his mother accepted the news positively and was looking forward to meeting both us both.I took a deep breath and wiped my hands on my dress as we drew into the driveway of his mother's spacious bungalow. Charles grasped my hand and kissed it tenderly.

"Baby, don't worry; my mum has never been this happy before; they're going to love you both, I just know it."

I grin at him uncomfortably and try not to panic as he leaves the car and opens the back door to get Thea from her car seat. I let myself out and circle round to join them as we make our way to the front door.  Charles puts his hand on my shoulder and whispers, "You'll be fine, i promise," before planting a kiss on my cheek and leading me to the front door.  Thea is in a merry and giddy mood after waking up from her nap earlier.Charles rings the bell, and when the door swings wide, I see a friendly woman who is obviously happy to see us.

"Hello! Come on in my loves" we are welcomed inside as she moves aside. Charles takes the lead, and I trudge along behind him, so nervous that I can hardly feel my feet on the ground. She pulls me into a warm, motherly hug and says, "You must be Madeleine; I've heard lovely things about you from Charles." The two of us pause in the foyer.

A little awkwardly, I say, "It's lovely to meet you too, Mrs. Leclerc; I've also heard lovely things about you."  

She says, "Call me Pascale," smiles warmly, and gently strokes my arm.

"And who is this little button?" Pascale asks. Thea, who I can see is now aware that she is now the centre of attention, continues to smile and giggle while she is being held by Charles .

"Mum, This is Thea. Thea, this is your Grandmama" As I listen to Charles introducing them, I see Pascale start to cry as she stands in front of Charles and Thea.

"Gamma!" Thea squeals with delight as she grins towards Pascale and claps her hands in Pascale's direction.

"You can call me whatever you like my little darling," Pascale says as she gently strokes the child's hand with her thumb.

At that same time, Charles and I lock gazes and exchange reassuring smiles. My heart is so full.

Arthur and Lorenzo are waiting for us in the back garden. As we follow Pascale out the patio doors towards the brothers, Charles, still carrying Thea, rests his other hand softly at the bottom of my back.  Both of them get up and start to stroll over to us.Arthur is standing closest to me. "Hi I'm Arthur, you must be Madeleine, it's lovely to meet you," he says to me with a kind smile, pulling me into a brief embrace."Hello, Arthur" I smile timidly and reply, "It's great to meet you; I've heard a lot about you."

Lorenzo approaches and exclaims, "Madeleine!" Its so great you're here in Monaco!" He enthusiastically greets me with, "So lovely to meet you!" before embracing me and pecking me on the cheek.  

"It's great to meet you, Lorenzo!" I reply as everyone's eyes are drawn to Thea, who is still held by Charles.

Charles introduces them, beaming like the proud father he is, "So Uncle Lorenzo and Uncle Arthur, this is Thea." They approach Thea, and he says, "Hello, young lady, I'm your Uncle Lorenzo," stroking her face with a finger and beaming.