Chapter 19 - The Prince's Dance

The next morning I get up, shower, apply the balms that Loki had made for me and dress. I decide to go for a quick walk in the gardens alone before heading off to talk with Lord Sigurd. He is in charge of the music for all the parties in the castle, and I wanted to share an idea I had with him. After spending the afternoon collaborating with him, it's time for me to go home and change.

My gown for the night is red velvet with long bell sleeves and black velvet trim. I chose to wear flats just because of my side. Though it is getting much better, I still do not feel as though I should be wearing heels, or even doing what I am going to be doing but I have to. My hair is pulled up to a pile of curls near the back of my head with a few loose strands of my y/h/c framing my face. Simple make up and earrings complete the look. I know Loki's favorite color is green, but I feel like wearing a new gown to this event. After everything over the past few days and weeks, I feel like new clothes are just what I need. Everyone arrives, and I stand with Sif, Cedrin and the warriors, as Loki, Thor and the rest of the royal family walk in. Loki looks pale and gaunt, like he hasn't slept or eaten in awhile; but those who know him, wouldn't know it. He looks very handsome in his dress green and black formal wear. It's hard to look at Loki, knowing what I know now, about the poems, and pretty much about how he feels about me. And I think I feel the same but I don't know how I would let him know; and what about Cedrin? I am really just getting to know him. Turning to him I smile and he squeezes my hand.

He's very handsome and so kind, but when I look at him I do not get the same response inside that I get when I look at or talk with Loki. The past few days have been very difficult without him in my life. Maybe that gets easier the longer we are apart? Maybe Loki and my friendship is really over...Can it hurt to try with someone else? I know that I will not have anything with anyone else like I have with Loki and that is because of our empathic link. ...hmm, which I haven't felt lately.

I manage to hide from Loki until it's time for the presentation of gifts. I can see his eyes scanning the crowd whether it is for me or someone else. Close friends and family members have brought gift up to him as he sits with Odin and acknowledges and thanks everyone for their gifts. Then it's my turn...

Cedrin offers me his arm to walk the deep green carpet with me up to a small dais with Lord Sigurd and then steps back. I can feel the eyes of the crowd on me, but most importantly are the eyes of Loki. This is the first time I have been asked to present my gift to Loki in front of the crowd gathered for the ball and I can feel every nerve in my body shaking.

I could pretend that I can't do this, people would understand having known what happened during the explosion. No, I can do this...I am here in front of everyone. I can't stop now.

"Good evening everyone, as many of you know the Prince and I have been friends for a very long time." I begin and then continue to address the crowd.

I feel the smile on my face widen as I think of all the things that we have been through, memories flash before my eyes before I can continue.

"Being friends with Prince Loki has always been... uh... full of surprises and unexpected events" the crowd laughs, "so I decided that I needed to present to the Prince a gift that is equally as surprising and unexpected."

Taking a deep breath, Lord Sigurd begins, and I feel the music within me.

Sometimes I long for a life of simple plans
Tied up with a ribbon

My friends are shocked, as they had no idea that I could sing, and quite frankly neither did I; until I put Loki's words to music. I look over to Lord Sigurd smiles encouragingly, as does my mom and Cedrin. I can see the surprise on the faces of the warriors, and I cannot help but smile.