Chapter 12 - Waiting on Word

Moments have turned to hours as Loki waits to hear of my condition. He wandered down the hall away from the others and has found solace in one of the stained glasses windows. He always used to hide here as a child, and the only one who could ever find him was F/n. He sits in the alcove of the window and laughs as he thinks of all the times we would run through the garden. He crosses his arms and puts his head on his knees as he pulls them to his chest.

We have so much history together, we have been friends for so long, I do not know what I would do with out her.

Loki smiles to himself as other memories of our times together flash in front of his eyes.

"Ah, there you are son!" Frigga says and throws her arms into the air, "I have been looking for you, how long have you been here?"

"Long enough," he mumbles into his knees, and then with a sniff raises his eyes and wipes his tears

"Oh Loki..." she pulls him to a hug and lets him sob in privacy on her shoulder.

"Loki, she is resting comfortably..." Frigga says.

"She's... she's ok, she made it?" he asks with incredulity, "Why didn't you tell me that first? Instead you let me sob like a child... look foolish."

Frigga gives him a scolding look, and he quickly apologizes.

"Yes, she will be sore and not able to spar or do a lot of things for a very long time, but the power you gave me helped save her."

Loki stands up and frantically begins pacing in the hall.

"Can I? I need to.... Can..." he takes a deep steadying breath, "may I see her, please?"

Frigga nods and they begin to walk down the hall. She links her arm through one of Loki's.

"That will be up to Kathalia, but I am sure she will be glad to see you" Frigga says and links her arm through her youngest son's and they head off to the ward, "of course I must tell you that I am not certain if she is conscious at this point."

As they round the corner they see Kathalia sitting on a bench in the hallway bent over her knees with her hands covering her face.

"My friend, what troubles you?" Frigga asks and sits on the bench next to her.

"Oh I am just overwhelmed and exhausted." She says, "I will never get used to seeing her like this, I know she has been injured before and will be fine, but it's just...this one feels particularly bad."

Loki has gone over and began speaking with Eira quickly and within moments, they are moving my bed to Royal's healing room.

"Loki, what have you done?" Frigga asks.

"She deserves to heal in private, and you dear lady, deserve to know that she is resting comfortably and peacefully" he says to my mom. "please rest yourself and allow me to watch over her tonight. I told you all those years ago that she will be safe with me, and I do not intend on breaking that vow tonight."

Kathalia and Frigga go into the room immediately to see me, and Loki waits in the hall. He is not yet ready to go in and see me. He knows that I am sleeping and will probably not know he is there but sooner or later he will go in.

"Your highness," my mother says, "please?"

She holds her hand out for him to take and gently tugs him in to the room. But he backs away.

"I... I...I need a moment...." And he hastens down the hall leaving my mom with a confused face expression.

After a few moments, he enters the room, clad in his green satin pajamas, carrying his green blanket, some fluffy socks, flowers, chocolate and a book of poetry. Both Frigga and Kathalia begin to laugh, and give Loki a kiss on his cheek.

"She is in good hands with you Loki." My mom puts a hand on his face, "thank you. I will be back in a little while. Please let me know immediately if something changes."

Frigga nods, and follows Kathalia out of the room to give us a bit of privacy.

"Well love, here we are again..." he laughs. "I guess I should tell what I brought, huh?"

Frigga and Kathalia listen and watch through the crack in the door and giggle like school girls.

"I brought you my favorite green blanket because it is warm, soft, and comfortable" he smiles and continues, "I also brought you some fluffy socks, I know how you love your fluffy socks and yes they are enchanted with a warming spell, some flowers and finally my dear, I brought some chocolate, because I know how that makes you feel better too. Do you mind if I read you some poetry?"

He places the socks on my feet, and reflexively I sigh with contentment at how good the socks feel. He leans over to look at my face as if waiting for a response and then crawls under the blanket with me and begins to read aloud. Frigga and Kathalia watch and then close the door. They sit in the hall and have some tea.

"What do you think is the story with those two?" Kathalia asks, "they have been such good friends since we introduced them, do you think there's more?"

"Actually I do believe there is more for them in the stars, but on what level I think has yet to be revealed. I have always enjoyed peeking in on them when they were younger and had sleepovers."

"You know, I do hope something comes of their relationship, they mean so much to each other, they may not even know it." She chuckles, "oh wouldn't it be something if they courted and married? Can you imagine the magic their children would have?"

Both ladies begin to laugh and then continue their conversation.

"I think Loki realized he has some feelings stronger than friendship for F/n today, his face, and when he saw the gash on her side, he couldn't see her in that condition." Frigga says, "I have never seen him look at someone as he looks at her, I just don't know he knows exactly what he is feeling, I don't think either of them do; but then again Loki never really does admit what he is feeling. I know he came close to admitting something before she left for training. OH he was unbearable... he trained just as hard as he thought she was."

Kathalia gives Frigga an odd look, and she continues.

"I think it was his outlet. Without her here, he filled his days with magic training, spells, and fight training" she smiles, "I am concerned about a match between him and anyone, he would be most certain to win, but would take no prisoners."

They continue to chat and comfort each other after a long day. Moments have passed and Frigga and Kathalia come in to the room to see that Loki has fallen asleep with his head on top of my head. Frigga pulls the blanket up closer to our ears and gives us each a kiss on the cheek. My mom changes into some clothes and falls asleep in the large chair in the corner of the room.