"What do you mean if she encounters someone? What are these supposed to do?" 

Elazar sat up straighter looking down at the bundles before turning his head to look at me. "Kora, come here for a moment." 

Standing up I brushed the dirt off My knees before walking over and crouching down. Elazar held out his hand palm up. "Your arm." He gestured.

Curious placed my hand in his hand he grabbed some plant fibers that he had previously woven into string and a leather strip. Using both he made some kind of band around my wrist and tied one of the bundles onto it.

"The thorns are laced with a potent venom that can paralyze someone temporarily, with a single prick. There's always a chance you may encounter the drakov or another of our race here in the forest and I do not wish for you to be left defenseless. It is not easy to kill our kind so this will enable you a chance to escape should you get caught. And should you be bound-"

Elazar pulled out a familiar Saber tooth that was sharpened into a small knife-like blade and fastened it to the bracelet. "You can use this to cut your ropes."

"Oh! That's a great idea! It will also keep kora out of trouble if she comes in contact with the others!" Kion exclaimed while I admired the tool.

"Yes, should someone attack her she needs to be able to defend herself, but killing or injuring another from our tribe will only cause more problems. This is a safe way to ensure no one is fatally hurt in such an event."

"But isn't the goal not to be seen or caught? This will only be useful up close, what if they have ranged weapons? A single scratch from a poisoned arrow could prove fatal…she needs a ranged weapon just in case like a… a sling! It's easy to use and learn!" Kion exclaimed excitedly.

Me and Elazar shared a concerned look, Kion was right. A hunter could easily shoot me.from a distance if I tried to run. Or I could be impaled by a spear. I shuddered at the idea of such an outcome.

"A sling is a child's toy tossing rocks at a warrior or hunter will only anger them." Elazar mused thoughtfully.

Kion pouted a bit after having his idea shot down and we all sat there trying to come up with another idea. 

We needed a non-lethal ranged weapon but what could possibly- my eyes widened as I came up with an idea. The flowers.

"I have an idea!" Jumping to my feet I rushed over to our supplies and grabbed some cloth and an empty container. Kion and Elazar shared a confused look as they got up. 

"El where can I find a patch of red flowers? The ones that put you to sleep!" 

His confusion turned to worry. "Why do you wish to find the zolvin flowers? That area is dangerous-"

"Just trust me I have an idea. If I can collect the pollen from those flowers I can make pellets as ammo for a slingshot, it will be a ranged weapon that I can use!"

He seemed conflicted and unconvinced by my idea. "No, we will come up with something else. I will not take you out there and let you put yourself in danger." He shook his head and turned away completely disregarding the idea.

My smile fell and I couldn't get another word in as Elazar walked away and retrieved his bag sitting near the campfire. "I must go back to the village to retrieve some supplies, we can discuss this further when I return…" he glanced back at me and kion. "Stay here and stay hidden. I will be back by nightfall."

With that he turned away and left us alone. My finger impatiently tapped my arm as I had them crossed. He didn't even try to consider the possibilities! Elazar doesn't think I can take care of myself…maybe I just need to prove him wrong.