48

TW: mentions of suicide

The house was quiet, the only sounds echoing through being the constant hum of the fridge and the rhythmic ticking of the wall clock that was perpetually stuck at 7:41. The morning light filtered through the sides of the closed curtains, revealing old piles of garbage and mounds of dirty clothes that were tiredly pushed aside. A light knock that may as well of been a loud banging cut through the quietness of the house, issuing a sigh from the mound on the couch.

The door squeaked open, flooding the dim room with light. "Hanagaki-Sama?" Hesitantly, a young man with short tousled brown hair and light brown eyes stepped into the house, shutting the door behind him before he slipped off his shoes next to a pair of sandals that had a layer of dust on them. "It's Tadashi. Are you here?" he continued as he cautiously walked into the living room, cringing slightly at the messes that took up the space and the smell of air freshener that mixed awfully with the scent of trash.

"What do you want?" The question came from the couch to his right, where a mound of blankets and pillows were.

Tadashi swallowed thickly. "Ha-have you worked on the next chapter? The publishers have been harping on me about it..."

"Four months and nineteen days..." she said with a raspy voice, confusing the man a bit. "It's been that long since she died and I haven't even thought about working. What's the point anymore? I have nothing left. My best friend is dead. The only person I ever loved is dead. Everyone I grew up with is dead. My own brother refuses to talk to me... I can't even think about getting back to work without feeling like ending it all. Amelia lost everything countless times, yet she can still fight to save them. But, me? I can't do anything. I can't go back and change things. I couldn't protect the people I cared for most. I can't do shit."

His tense muscles relaxed as he let out a small sigh. "That's not true. Your story has helped so many people get through tough times. I haven't told anyone this, but..." he sheepishly scratched his cheek, "a few years ago, I was seriously thinking about taking my own life. Your book kept me going though. It gave me something to look forward to, and... it made me realize that I wanted to make my own story, so I can help people too. Hanagaki-Sama, you've been a great inspiration and even a lifeline for people ever since Chasing Paradise was published. You just... need to get back on your feet again."

She let out a low chuckle as she uncovered her head, revealing the mess of black hair that faded down to blonde. "I know, I know, but it's hard when you lose a person that's been there for most of your life. Me and Sayu... we were inseparable for twenty long years. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be the person I am today." A small, weak smile made its way to her face as she sat up. "Let me ask you this, Tadashi, what kind of person do you think I was before this?"

"You mean back when you were in school?" he asked, gaining a nod and shrug from Danaju. "Well... if I had to guess, I'd probably have to say that you were an art kid."

Before he could continue, she let out a laugh. "Sorry, sorry. It's just," she blew out a breath as she settled her laughter, "you couldn't be further from the truth."

"Huh?"

"Where'd you grow up, Tadashi?"

"U-um, in Roppongi, Hanagaki-sama."

She hummed with a nod. "Then I'm sure you heard about certain delinquents, right?"

"Yes," he nodded, "I did. The Haitani brothers were the most popular there and, of course, The Invincible Mikey."

At the mention of his name, her features softened into an almost melancholic smile as her gaze shifted over to her desk.

"What is it?" Tadashi asked, noticing the almost longing look in her eyes.