Chapter 2 - A Fateful Night

It's shorter, I promise. ;)   - A

***

The deep vibration of the music coursed through our veins, with every beat, our hips swayed while our arms wavered. Val's body rubbed up against mine in a fiery heat of passion, dance, and feel. Hours felt like minutes and each time we swayed, we craved the dancefloor a little more. Everyone around us danced gracefully, the fluorescent lights bouncing from person to person, showering them in radiant, picturesque lighting. Like moths to a flame, this was the moment that every Midnight Run goer would rave about until the end of their existence. Nothing felt as heavenly as this moment felt, it was almost unreal. It was addicting. I felt heavenly and on top of the world as did everyone around us. It was almost as if we were entranced by the environment.

Had someone drugged us?

I don't remember alcohol being this type of strong and Val and I have had our fair share of bad hangover days. We didn't ingest anything that would've given this effect and we didn't drink that much, compared to normal. If anything it just felt, different.

I felt Euphoric. It's as if every bad memory, word, and thought never existed. Only peace, happiness, and pleasure. Could Val feel what I was feeling right now? My head faintly turned towards Val who had grown a foot taller and looked more masculine. 

Not Val, no, a stranger. The red-headed man who was with the red-headed woman outside. 

But Valerie was just here a second ago? Or had it been longer? I stopped dancing and began looking around trying to find Valerie but she was nowhere to be seen. Panic began to set in as I frantically looked for her in the overwhelming crowd. Sweaty bodies pushed up against mine as they danced and flowed with the music that was pumping out of the DJ booth. As the beat of the music increased, the more erratic the crowd became, pushing me back into someone. 

"I'm sorry I-" I turned around to apologise but stopped when I saw who it was. 

The same stunning red-headed guy from earlier. 

"No need to apologise love, you can save that part for later," in a swift and graceful move, he gently grabbed my hand and spun me around, placing a strong hand on my lower back and dipping my body so gracefully my hair was an inch from touching the ground. 

The lights coming from the DJ's set illuminated us in what would've been a perfect cinematic shot as the crowd made space and circled us, cheering us on. 

He held me in that position long enough I could see his infectious smirk and mischievous grey eyes that twinkled while staring at mine. Another euphoric wave hit me once more, making me feel like I was the star of my own show, relishing in this limelight. I couldn't help but smile back at him which only made his smirk deepen.

His left hand still firmly held my lower back in place so I wouldn't fall to the ground. He used the other hand to gently guide my hand to his lips, kissing it ever so lightly as he pulled me gracefully back into his arms.

"I think this is the part where we get married," he confidently teased.

I scoffed, "Don't tell me that actually works on people."

As if he was surprised by my answer, he tilted his head accordingly, "It normally does," he said with a hint of seriousness.

"Maybe it'd work better if you asked me my name first," I said with slight sarcasm. 

He grinned, "Or, it simply did not work on you, Alexis." 

The way my name rolled off his tongue sent tingles throughout my body. Maybe it was the drinks or whatever euphoric peace that flowed through me, which had my body in a chokehold as it heated with desire toward this man. It almost felt unnatural.