(6) The strange boy.

It all started with my curiosity.

Months have passed since that tragedy of the cul-de-sac, my once favorite view of the ocean was tarnished by knee leveled murky waters. I gazed left and right at the time trying to cope with the new normal, yet all that washed upon me was regret.

The regret of not soaking in the view of the beach hours prior, I know I shouldn't have beat myself up too much, how could I have known? How Was I supposed to be prepared for a disaster with no warning.

The sun sets high, bright and warm just like that day, yet the rays it casted were swallowed whole by the darkness of the depths instead of dancing on the gray and dark blue ripples of the once great ocean. Not a sign of life anywhere can be sensed within the depths, the atmosphere of my surroundings changed from joy and life to a gloom and depression.

The wind blew into my face gliding through the strands of my 4c Afro hair, my thick lashes fluttered while trying to peel my eyes open to the wind. An awful smell ran up my nose and I nearly gagged to the scent, something was rotting in the distance as if meat was left out for far too long after it's expiration.

Another dead body near by, I wonder what it'll look like this time. No Eyes? no head? or the worst, no torso. I shivered continuing on my trail in hopes of it not being my father.

"Monica sweetie stay close, we're going to be heading back shortly." My nana cries in the distance before picking up her conversation with a neighbor.

I simply nodded with a smile, holding Up my dress as I climbed over the large rock. My little thick legs hopped over a few rocks further and further lost into the surroundings. Maybe it was because it was during the day, but the water didn't feel so scary anymore, picking up a few pebbles and launching them one by one into the murky waters with a distant mind.

Unraveling the mystery of my father's disappearance, of each and every body turned in none of the corpses were his. No call informing us he was found despite the many countless days that have passed. I sighed staring into my younger reflection in the water. Astonished that light can reflect at all.

But then again water surfaces resemble glass.

I huffed a mini smile, I was my mother's daughter I think to myself. 

Little dough orbs hidden in the almond shape of my eyes, thick lashes with a button nose sitting above my plump lips. I am all alone, never to see my mother's face again and now I have lost my father, both their memory burned deep in my chest, my eyes blurred with hot tears ready to spill.

Just as I was ready to wipe my face came a swish sound just below me, in a second my eyes widened and I glanced down in the nick of time to catch a tail gently graze through the ripples of the dark waters. Grayish or a light blue? my first instinct was a fish but with everything I went through I wasn't taking any more chances.

Slowly I rise to my feet careful to not make any drastic moves, there is no other way but down, deep into the unknown with one of them still lurking by. My heart spiraling with fear, I walked too far, deep away from my Nani and must find a way back, being Caribbean I have been taught one major important factor when alone with the great ocean.

Never turn your back to it.

However in this case I didn't have the luxury of patience, I needed to leave and fast. Heaven stood for me when I reached the end of the curved rock to shore but than I heard a sound, the surface of water breaking, the hairs stood all over me and I stifled a cry. It's watching me. I can feel it's eyes on my back glaring at me.